new toy for this year

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Kutter, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As any good hunter or fisherman knows, we gots to buy new toys before each season. Not sure, but I think it is a law or somethin.

Went shopping at Cabela's last night, they greet me by name now an push my carts for me.:wink: Other than a few odd's & ends like extra socks and new pair of rubber boots, I only bought one new toy. I bought the Monarch Game Hitch.(see below)
    With my back problems and the resulting loss of strength, I am hoping it will help. Kinda embarrassing when ya gotta go get help to load a deer into the truck.
    Incidentally, yes, I tried to make one myself to save money. Notice, I used the word "tried"? After 10 hours and $50 worth of material I ended up with weld burn on my neck and scrap metal to be hauled off.:wink:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    nice lookin rig. Hope you get to break it in this year.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Now tell us the truth Tom. You really bought that to hang those big ol catfish on:wink::smile2:. Hope you get a big buck to break it in with this year.

Tom

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Only to weigh them, then they get released every time. That winch is for a 1000 lb load, so my dinks shouldn't be too much for it.:wink: It says it is rated for 350 lb's, but they upgraded the winch and as heavy duty built as it is, I don't doubt it could handle twice that amount. Probably a liability issue is why they rated it so low.
    Just got it mounted. Had to make one adjustment already. They didn't drill holes for the receiver hitch pin. I don't want to be taking it down till after the season is over, so I needed to pin it.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom that is a nice looking set up. Thanks for sharing. I agree its a law that we buy all the bells and whistles.:smile2:

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey Tom... Who you gonna get to turn the wench handle for you.. You should of put an electric one on it... hehehe

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    What i wanna know is where the buck hanging from it came from?:crazy: Unc, good to cya back too.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Been thinking of building me one with a sliding sleeve so it will pivot around over the bed of my truck. Don't know if they are made that way,But it looks like all square tube construction,So a pipe sleeve just below the winch might be nice to have.Glad for ya Tom,Make good use of it.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, I do have an electric winch I could easily adapt, good idea, Harold.

Yeah right, like I would want a plastic thing like that. Wimpy looking thing, aint it?

This one pivots, Richard. It is round right below the winch, like you said. It also comes apart at that location, for storage. I like that it can stick out far enough to pivot the deer into the bed of the truck while the tailgate is down. When I drilled the holes for the hitch pin, I drilled them in both that location and for sliding all the way in so I can use it during transport without sticking out too far.

10. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    It ain't hard!:wink:
    I did it for my uncle, I will see if he can send some pictures. I cut it in 1/2 about 2 inches below the winch plate. I got a piece of steel tubing that was .250 thick wall that would slide into the square tube. (he had the piece of round tube from something). We had to make 2 washers, one for the top of the square tube and one for the tube that slid in. It re-enforced the tubing ends and allowed them a flat place to pivot on. I also put on a Warn ATV winch with a plug for his trailer plug that had 12v to it. I later put a small handle across it to aid in turning the tower.
    The changes I made actually made it easier for him to use because it made it 2 pieces, he can put the bottom piece in the hitch and then place the top piece on it. He now wants me to make the bottom rotate, this way he can put it in the hitch, slide the top in and rotate the whole rig up and pin it in. I guess I will do it this year when I go hunting.
    We built a rig for a friend of his for his tractors 3 point hitch and an electric winch. He has since change it to be able to use the winch and skin a whole hog or deer while it is hanging.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's why God made front-end loaders!:big_smile:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kip,With my background of construction in general,and my welding truck,I know it would be EASY.:wink:

13. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That's a great thing to have if your by yourself our the ol back anit what it use to be,,,Now me myself i'd have to make ONE major change on that i'd make it swivel so when i had too many cold one's the kid's could hook me by my belt and lay be down in the truck bed real easy like ....instead of the Just THROW HIM BACK THERE LMAO JUST KIDDING

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    One change i would make if I did one is to put a way to keep it from spinning. That way you can pull on it if needed. Maybe a pin through the main body? Something easy that you could do with one hand.

15. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I spoke with my uncle and he is going to try to get some pics for me. He said he pulled the 3/16 cable off and put 1/8 on to increase the capacity in case he had to pull one out of the brush. He also put the snatch block as the top pulley now so he can remove the cable from the top pulley to pull straight horizontially.
    He said it is almost to easy now he only has to get within a few yards of the deer.
    A front end loader would be nice but the old Ford we built that lift for did not have hydraulics, Heck we had the thing built before we realised the tractor was 6 volt. Luckily all we had to add at the time was a battery box and battery. About 6 months later he converted it to 12 volts.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That's a cool setup you have Tom. Looks like a back saver. With my back issues I could use something like that for my truck. Good luck hunting this fall!!:big_smile:

Thanks for the pic!!

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The one I just got had a lock down 3/8 bolt to keep it from spinning. I like the idea, but not the method they used. I will make a bolt with a large handle to easily lock it down by hand and without a wrench.

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Very nice indeed, but your still gona have to unhook it for them winter time catfishing trips :wink: :smile2:

19. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice.hope you didn't waste your money on it this year :crazy:

20. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    There's no such thing as scrap metal.A new anchor or heavy duty rod holder sounds better.