New toy for small game 17HMR

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Koon, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Have to show off my christmas present to myself for target / small game. Savage 17HRM rifle.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Franklin that is a nice toy. I have a friend that has one and he loves it. You will enjoy that gun.:big_smile:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats an awsum rifle Franklin I got one in a RUGER MOD 77/17real tackdriver

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    there is no better feeling for me than hitting a critter and 200 yards away with a high velocity rifle. I have a smiliar rifle I take out squirrel hunting with me and range just isnt an option especially with hornady mach .17

5. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    great gun,shotguns are still better imo,but then again i think its funner blowing them up then shooting them with 1 bullet lol

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    great lookin gun. i prefer rifles over shotguns myself,one reason for that is because your going to have more crawl offs with shotguns,but with a rifle,one well placed shot to the head/shoulder and that critter's going down. one shot,one kill.:cool2:

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    You're absolutly right Kenny. The only disadvantage with using a .17 squirrel hunting, is you better put that ball right square in the noggin, cause if you don't, you'll blow the front end right off them. I've done it using the Mach 17 Hornady's. It's a great rifle though. I believe someone said it is a real tack driver, and there is know dought in my mind, that it is.
    Sparky

8. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have been wanting to get one of the 17 caliber rifles as I love to long range shoot crows, but are they accurate to 150 yards and what distance would you sight them in?

9. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    My gosh that's a purdy stock you got there! I hear nothing but good things about the Savage .17s, but I've yet to see one as pretty as that. Congratulations, let us know how it shoots!

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I bought my buddy one of the same for his B-day about 4yrs ago. It IS a tack driver. He's even killed hogs with head shots.

His has a black barrel & synthetic stock. The new Game Getter bullets that are out now, hold together & don't fragment like the original ballistic tip ammo.

11. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have it sighted in at 100yards but use a tactical scope... I just dial in the yardage and it compensates for drop and even wind... I have no problems hitting gopher targets at 200yrds at the range consistantly. I'm so impressed what this rifles does... can't wait to hit small game this season.

My buddy trys the same shot with his 22lr using stingers but its like lobbing shots at 200yrds... he has to aim 2-4ft above the target and even then its just a hope shot.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Man.......I knew better than to check out this post.....I gots to have one of those rifles !!

13. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Have had myRemington Model 597 Magnum for a couple years kill about 50
    Coyotes with it most between 60 and 140 yards I enjoy calling them up close and have even used a shotgun on them out in Oregon, since moving here to S.E. OK. Have killed two pigs with it both at about 100 yards both behind the ear shots with CCI TNT ammo one of the hogs had itÂ’s hole low jaw blown off, there are many type of ammo for them and all perform differently.

If you go to http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about each make and model and all the ammo made for them, with lots of pictures witch I like a lot.:big_smile:

Mine has the Synthetic Black Stock, NC Star 3-12+50 Scope, Harris By-Pod and ADG Sport Case, water proof and has two combination locks, has had less than a hundred rounds threw it and is in new condition.

I am getting old fat and gray and tromping around in the wood is not as much fun as it use to be, especially dragging game behind me.
    Would trade it for a small aluminum boat and motor or maybe even a Square Back Canoe I have almost $900.00 in it.

You will enjoy that new rifle!!!

14. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    100 rounds... ROFL, I've put 500+ rounds through mine in 3 trips at the range... just too much fun to shoot.

15. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

yup if you get a new gun its impossible to put down. I shoot it untill im poor!

16. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    You need to check game laws for your state before using the 17 HMR for hunting.

Here in Tennessee the law states .22 caliber rimfire or shotgun only for small game.

Jesse

17. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    my uncle won one of these rifles in a raffel.may have to borrow it for a day of target shooting.

18. I make oil

I make oil New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Has anybody tried the FMJ's for hunting in the .17?

19. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    do they even make them? ive only seen hollow points and poly tips. if there are fmj's i would think they would be next to useless. its so small going so fast, with a fmj it would pass through and transfer almost no energy.

20. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm not a big fan of the .17 cal.

I've seen to many shots at groundhogs and they get a way clean.

On another note i've recently bought a .204 Ruger.

With it's blistering speed and precision it's hard to beat !!!

I took out a couple groundhogs today 1 was 257 yard's and the other was 323 yards. Both heads shot's at that distance !!!

HAWK :smile2: