New Toy,Err Tool

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by 223reload, Mar 9, 2008.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I purchased a Frankford Arsenal case cleaning kit a couple weeks ago. This is available from Midway usa. However I got mine locally.this kit has a vibratory polisher,case media,brass polish ,media seporater,and a handy 3 gal bucket to store the media. I paid 74.00 for it here ,Midway lists it for 69.00 i believe,anyway I saved a few bucks in shipping to put diesel in my ole truck an go blast paper or prariedogs .

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Richard i assume ya hand load ALOT lol. I started shooting reloads about 10 years ago and won't shoot anything else now. I'm sold on it for the simple reason i can tweek the load to suit my rifle.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John. I have been rollin my own since I was 15,so 31+ years has gotten me into it pretty heavy. There aint no feelin like custom crafting a load to suit your rifle and then punchin paper or taking game with it.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Could someone educate me on the importance of a tumbler? Ive been thinking about buying one but if all it does is make my brass shiny I can live without it. Ive heard with hot loads you want to clean off any lube to reduce pressure but if Im shooting light loads what do I gain. What am I missing?

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Besides lookin purty,the clean brass also cycles better in your gun,and keeps pressures lower by keeping lube from getting in the chamber before you load rounds.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The single most important thing about cleaning brass to me is SAFETY!You can spot any possible flaw in clean brass a lot easier than you can with dirty brass.Don't get me wrong.I inspect all of my brass after firing and before cleaning,as well as after.That tiny little smudge at the primer pocket will be gone after cleaning,and you may miss the high pressure or enlarged primer pocket.Same for checking the mouth.The slight imperfections of a weakening case is far more likely to be visible on clean brass.I check mine with my glasses on,magnifying glass and very bright light.

I used chemicals and a old rock tumbler years ago before the "Vibrators"came out.The vibrators are the way to go in my book.I also love "Flitz" to add to the media when the cleaning slows down.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you're a reloader, cleaning and polishing the brass is one of the most important steps. It lets you see cracks and stress marks that you would not see otherwise. One of the main things tumbling your brass does is to clean all the dirt and grit off of the outside of the case that you can't see.

If you put dirty gritty cases up inside your resizing die, then that dirt and grit will scatch not only your brass, but also the inside of your die. If you scratch your case, it's not that bad. However, when you scratch the inside of the die, then you will scratch every case you put in there from now on. If the scratch is bad enough, then the case can get stuck! If you've not ever experienced a stuck case, then hold on, it will really mess things up. You almost always have to send the die back to the manufacturer to get it out.

I'd seriously suggest that all cases are run through the tumbler before reloading. You don't necessarily have to use polishing media, but at least a good cleaning to save your dies.