NEW TO VIRGINIA NEED HELP

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by billyodoyle, Apr 11, 2009.

1. billyodoyle

billyodoyle New Member

I just moved here from germany, i'm in the air force and i'm living around the hampton area. I've been out of the cat fish scene for about 3 years and i'm in need of knowledge. I have no clue whats down the street from me let alone where to fish. help me

2. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    welcome to the board billy. the lower james river is hard to beat for blue cats. not sure of any other spots close to you. good luck and thanks for serving. i have a son in the marines and 1 in the army.

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    First off welcome to the BOC!!!!!! you have found the best site in the world there is a wealth of information here and the folks here are absolutely first rate.
    One place you could go off the top of my head would be on the Colonial Parkway along the parkway you have college creek and Mill Creek both places are good for mr. Whiskers, another place is along state route 5 on the Chickahominy River if you let me know where you are starting from I can give you more detailed directions. Again welcome:wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Billy Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Were proud to have you on board.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

5. FishyFilly

FishyFilly New Member

State:
    virginia
    Pretty much all of the rivers in Virginia hold Blues.

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Billy,
    First off, thank you for your service to our great country. It's because of people like you that we have the freedom to go catch fish whenever we like.

I spent 9 years of my Air Force career in Germany...the last tour was Spangdahlem. Welcome home! I know how bad that itch can get when you don't have a place to wet a line. Take your time and learn the area...you do that by getting out there and fishing and keeping your eyes open. Don't be afraid to ask questions of others having success. Most folks don't mind bragging a little and you can pick up a lot of information. Keep checking back on this site...there are some great and helpful folks on here that love to share their knowledge.

One thing that I've learned is that Blues like meat...fresh fish is the way to go. It really doesn't matter what kind but it has to be fresh...and big...about the size of your hand is the way to get the bigger ones. Channel cats will eat anything...smelly and nasty and they love it. Blues don't normally go for that kind of stuff. Flatheads will take cut bait on occaision but if you want to be consistant on them, make it a live bluegill or white perch...something alive.

Good luck and tight lines.

7. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the BOC Billy!