New to upstate

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ernie1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Ernie1

Ernie1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey folks. I have recently moved to the Greenville from Charleston and I am having trouble finding bait shops, preferebly with live bait, and any information on where boat landings are located. I am wanting to start out fishing Hartwell because that is the closest lake to where I live. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ernie.

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Ernie the SCDNR used to pulish a state wide sportsman atlas with all the public access areas by county. I bought mine 10 years ago for $15. I would give them a call and ask them if it is still available.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Ernie.

5. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the BOC!

6. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Ernie Welcome to the BOC! I fish hartwell a good bit. I am in Pickens, I go through six mile down hwy 183 to get to the lake. Clearwater marine is on hwy 183, they have live blue backs. I know that if you go down I 85 there are several bait shops that have live bait around Portman marina. If you want boat ramps and bait shops, go to walmart and buy a kingfisher lake map, I think they are about $10. They have a legend in the upper right corner with all ramps and a lot of bait stores numbered. Just find the numbers on the map that coincide. Keep in mind that a few of the ramps on the map are not accessable, but there are only a handfull. I hope this helps. If you need anymore info send me a PM and I will do what I can to help out.

Steve

7. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Earnie! You might find that clearwater marine opens a little late for your likings most of the time I have to get my bait in Anderson. There are a few places there : The Bait shop and Lake Hartwell Fishing and Marine, Both are located off Hwy 24 with the latter being at the intersection of hwy 24 and 187. The bait shop is probably 2 miles or so towards Townville ,SC from the same intersection. It is just off hwy 24 on a small side road but still visable from 24.

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Ernie! There are numerous boat ramps in the Clemson-Seneca area and all of them are accesible at this time. It's just according to where you want to fish(which end of the lake) as to what ramp I would use. Clear water marine doesn't open early enough for me, so I usually make the short drive to THE BAIT SHOP, just off hwy 24. Tim gets to the shop around 4:30am and closes at 8/9 pm during summer months. He has good bait and is well knowledged on striper fishing and where they are being caught. PM me if any questions about the ramps, the 12 mile ramp is less than 4 min. from the house.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I asked about those atlases last fall when I went by the Columbia office. They had plenty, but when I asked the girl how recently they were updated I forgot what she said, but it had been several years (and it may have been even longer since it had been updated, just that it was reprinted several years ago), and she told me they were going to update it to reprint this year I think. I didn't buy any because I thought it would be wasteful to spend the money since I have an old one, and that I could wait until the new one came out and buy it. I haven't even thought about it until now. I'll have to check what the status is on them now.

10. Ernie1

Ernie1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the information. The help is greatly appreciated. I am going to give it a shot for the first time this weekend, it has been about a month since I have been in the water and I am about to go loopy. I have room for one if anyone is intrested. Just PM me. Thanks again for the help.

11. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
  12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Ernie! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

13. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Went by the Columbia DNR office today to ask about the atlases. They had hundreds of them there. They were printed in 2006 and they are $15 there. I asked if they were going to update them and they said not anytime soon, and that the update they thought was coming didn't happen.

14. Ernie1

Ernie1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I ordered the atlas today so we will see how accurate it is. Thanks for the link.