New to turtles

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by kaleigh, Apr 13, 2006.

1. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    In some of the canals where I fish,I see some big turtles.Most of the catching is done by a few Mexicans and they go nuts for the bigger ones.My question is what do you use for bait,how do you kill and clean a turtle and prepare it for cooking.Lot of questions I know,but I had turtle soup as a kid and loved it !:0a35: :0a21:

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I saw a show today on OLN and these two guys were catching hugh snapping turtles. They would wade in the water along the bank and find holes, they would reach in and pull the turtles out. They held the turtles upside down by their hind legs so they wouldn't bite them, but one guy got bit on the arm

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    hello, turtles will eat anything. fish,worms, liver, meat . idon't know what type you ran into. I go for snapping turtles once or twice a year. we ahve a turtle season here. I nail them to a tree, head down, cut off head,then skin neck,legs,and legs. the shell has a soft layer along the sides where top aand bottom meet.use thid to remave shell. when done soak in several changes of clean water. then fry like chicken in skillet with a lid to steam tender. there are 7 different kinds of meat in a turtle. ummm good. lol hope i helped you .

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I forgot the most important part olny pick a turtle up by its TAIL!!! they have long necks.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Catch Alot Of Turtles While Fishing For Catfish On Liver.

6. lord_zainan

lord_zainan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had turtles steal bait, but have never actually caught one. What size hooks do you recomend? Should I use a leader like I would for cats?