new to turtleing

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by countrycat15, Jun 30, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey guys.i want to start "turtling",so my quiestions are how do i set up a snapper line(floated or on bottem),what size hook,what kind of bait,and also please tell me how to contruced a snapper line and what matierials are needed.and also what are the biggest turtles yall have cought and can i run a snapper line from the bank i dont have a boat.any info yall have will help me out alot.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    get about 50ft of 200lb line for your mainline, attach a 1-2oz sinker on the end, then attach a heavy steel leader, and then put a 1/0 j-hook (make sure its xx-strong) on the end. bait up with a half-dollar peice of pork (what ive found best) and toss it out and tie up to something sturdy (tree, tree root, etc.). thats pretty much the setup i use. leave it out overnight and it should have a snapper on in the morning. make sure enough hook is exposed to hook 'em. small ponds are great for snappers!

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    This is good advice and like he said make sure the hook is at least xx-strong. A snapper can straighten a hook pretty easy.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for the info guys this will help me out alot.