New to turkey hunting need help

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jdw123, Apr 4, 2008.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    Ok, im new to turkey hunting and have some questions. when i call for the turkeys to locate them do i need to call them right when it starts getting light outside or in the afternoon? i have an owl hooter and a crow call, which one do they prefer more? also ive heard you can use a coyote call? i will be trying to locate them the day before i hunt so would sun up or afternoon be better?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hi Justin! In my personal experience I would locate them in the morning. I have great luck using a crow call. Try to get there 30min to an hour before sunrise. Gives you plenty time to set up and catch them coming off the roost. Set up approx 100 yds. from where they are roosted. Don't call to much, just enough to get their interest. Good luck and I hope you bag one!:0a26:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You want to try to locate early AM if youre calling them to locate,I like to get out in the early morning or late afternoon and use my binoculars myself to locate them. then assemble a game plan.

Welcome to the BOC ,I nearly forgot,I'm so intent on the upcomin turky season :wink:

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    id get ya some turkey decoys and a good turkey call

5. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    if ya gonna try too locate them before you hunt, then you should do it late after noon towards dusk right before they roost . then use your locator call
    too gobble shock them , then you can pin piont them work a lil closer and try glassing for them in there roost . then you should be in there before daylight
    set up by the roost right before daybreak do some soft cluck's and purrs too let the birds know that there's a hen already on the ground . you should get responce's just don't call too much and imatate what the hens are doing .

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never blow a caller till it's season and show time. Many birds are educated each spring from folks calling them before opening day. I'll hoot or use a crow caller occasionally but usually just listen before season. Also shoot your gun and determine what shot it shoots best and and be SURE to aim at the head and neck. They can pack alot of shot if ya hit it in the body. Good luck, theres nothing like it.

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska

you could always go before sunrise to find them in the tree. use the owl hooter before it gets light or before the sun gets too high up and use the crow call after it gets light. a gobble also works pretty well in the mornings. a coyote call works alright but in my experience you have to be close to get them to gobble from it and then theyd just leave fast anyways, they dont stay in a place where there are predators around