New to the site

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by richard s, Jan 16, 2010.

1. richard s

richard s New Member

State:
    kansas
    Just wanted to introduce myself here on your fine site. Mostly a bass fisherman but am getting back into catfishing. I am planning on fishing the rivers around KC but it's all pretty new to me. I am mostly a static water guy, so any advice on the rivers is much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any tips for rigging up rod holders on a bass boat, let me know. I look forward to chatting with you all.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richards Welcome to the USCA, from So. Illinois.

3. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    welcome to the boc/usca thers a alot of great fisherman on here to get some good tips from.what rivers are you going to be fishin?

4. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the BOC/USCA Richard.

5. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    The Kaw has some metal trash in it up from the ramp. Take it slow around the bridges. Just up from the 7th st. ramp there is an island. Stay to the left side {do not go right} but stay close to the island. Not a hard rule but most folks headed up to the low head dam at 4-35 get in trouble on the right side of the river.

As for the Missouri River it gets shallow with some logs behind some of the wing dams. You always want to keep an eye open for floating debris.

Other than that just dont hit any of the 4 killer B's to hard while on the Mo. The Killer B's are Bridges,Bardges,Buoys & Beer!!

6. richard s

richard s New Member

State:
    kansas
    Wanting to fish the missouri. I've been on it before, just not fishing. Not brave enough yet to take the bass boat up the kaw.

7. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Oh! The Mo. It's pretty much wide open,hammer down on the Missouri River. The Killer B's can be hell though.

On a serious note, wing dams are your most dominant structure on this river. Find other structure by a wing dam that makes it unique & you will be well on your way to catching cats!

Some techniques used for Bass work well for cats. Especially well, when you are learning a new area & wish to cover a lot of water to find productive spots.
    Just trade your plastic worm for a 3"-6" long sliver of shad or perch fillet & fish it in the same manner.

8. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've got a bass boat and I have Monster rod holders on my boat and would like to suggesst a rod rack for the Back of the boat. there are several ideas about this in the Monster Rod Holder section and several more. If you need any help finding them let me know.
    Welcome to the BOC/USCA there allot of information here. Enjoy!

Here a good rod rack artical:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?129738-Monster-Rod-Rack

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  9. richard s

richard s New Member

State:
    kansas
    I like the looks of that rack.

I think I can do a good job of avoiding at least 3 of the killer B's

10. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Just a heads up. The Coast Guard does patrol the Missouri River on occasion. It's rare but I have seen them do sobriety test on the river. Dont like seeing any getting in trouble.

Jeff

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to USCA Richard.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Welcome to the site Richard..

13. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC/USCA Richard! Hope you enjoy your time on this site and fishin for those cats again.