New to the Site, Just saying Hello.

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by cat rookie, Jun 1, 2008.

1. cat rookie

cat rookie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello, my name is Darren and I live in Albemarle, NC. I was online looking for information on catching catfish and came across this site. I have just recently gotten back into fishing this past year. I used to live to fish when I was a kid, but when I turned 16 and got a drivers license my priorities changed and I got to where I may go fishing every couple years. Now that I'm 30 with a wife and kid I've found that we all like to go fishing and it's been a great way for us all to spend time together. Living in Albemarle I have plenty of water to explore and so far this year we have done pretty well fishing for crappie, and when the crappie fishing is slow we've had a lot of fun catching bream/perch. We usually end up at Badin or High Rock, but I hope to check out Tillery and Tuckertown some this year too. We were wanting to catch some bigger fish, and decided that catfish may be fun to go after next. I know nobody gives up info on their hot spots, but I'll greatly appreciate any tips for my local waters that are commonly known to most "catfishers" around here as far as good baits, places to catch these baits, etc. I've been getting some heavier tackle loaded in the boat and hope to make our first trip next weekend. For now the plan is to spend the afternoon catching some small bream/perch, and using the very small ones for live bait and the larger ones as cut bait. That way at least if we don't catch any cats we had fun catching the small fish. Does this sound good or should I try to find some shad instead? Any laws pertaining to catfishing (size, qty, techniques) that I should be aware of that are common mistakes for new cat anglers? We plan to do all our fishing on rod/reels, not jugging. It's hard to argue with the jugging results, but we want to have the fun of reeling them in! :D

Thanks for any tips and for the great site with all the info!!!!

Darren

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the great BOC its the best catfishing and fishing site in the world, if you havent already i would check out the boc library where you can find all kinds of helpful information and tips, its good to have you aboard, glad to be able to call ya boc brother.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Darren.

You'll find all kinds of useful info in the member library. Check it out. You'll be in there for days trying to read and learn it all.

Also show your wife the BOC Diner you both will find all kinds of great new recipes in there to try out. But, don't look for none of em to be low cal:smile2:

Good luck fishing.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    welcome to the boc

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Darren Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Looking forward to reading your posts.

6. Welcome to the B.O.C.
    You will find a great plethora of knowledge on this site.

sTRICTLY Catfish

7. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    catfish rookie you need to get 10 post so you can doa lot more things. By the way welcome glad to have you all get your wife to join also. thanks sam davis

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Darren! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family, but more importantly, do you know Kellie Pickler :smile2:? Just kidding buddy....we're glad to have you and look forward to your posts and participation in the future! :cool2:

9. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC!! Coming to you from Gold Hill/Rockwell NC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :big_smile::big_smile::smile2::big_smile: This is a great place to be, if you cant be on the lake or river. I'm stay down in your area fishing and get ready for some action and fun if you are going to take up catfishing. ask anything you want and don't forget about or libary. Has a lot of great information in it. Feel free to contact and and we might have to go to the lake and catch a few togather. Good luck and good to have you here with us!!

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Darren from Western Kentucky:cool2:

11. cat rookie

cat rookie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the warm welcome, I definately have a lot of learning and reading to do. I was out on badin in the boat today marking a few spots on the gps that I want to try next weekend. Any tips for night fishing other than try not to get ran over by a drunk in another boat?? :D

Did you go to Mt. Pleasant High School? If so then I think you went there with me and my wife. Last name's Stancil, had a cousin named Brian that was about your age if I've got the right person.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and any help.

Darren

12. cat rookie

cat rookie New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Man, I thought we were past the "do you konw Kellie Pickler?"! :D :D HAHAHA Sorry, I just moved out here from Mt. Pleasant about 5yrs ago so I don't know any of the Picklers. I may have seen her at Sonic and just never knew it :)

13. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    welcome to the BOC, may you always have tight lines and bent rods.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[ยบ>

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome from Missouri

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc, this site is full of good info and great people.

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Darren.

18. cat rookie

cat rookie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks again for the welcome. Went to Bass Pro Shops today to start collecting some catfish gear. Bought some of the large 4in slip bobbers, slip knots and beads, BIG hooks (compared to what I'm used to), some 1/2oz egg shaped weights, and some swivels to make my leaders/rigs. It's all new stuff to me, but it seems pretty easy to rig up. I'm going to use a few of my large open face reel/rod combos that I use pier fishing at the beach, it's the heaviest tackle I have. I've got them spooled with 30lb, and I'm building my leaders out with 25lb test so hopefully I only loose a hook if I get hung up. So now I guess I'm needing to find a fishing spot with some current and some type of ledge or cover? Should I drop anchor and fish in one spot or put out a marker bouy and just run the trolling motor around the location at a given depth? I've been reading on here, but still a little unsure of how I'm planning to carry out my first catfishing trip. Thanks again for all the help everyone, see you at the lake!!!!

Darren

19. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Darren!!! This is by far the best place in the world to learn, eat, sleep, breath, and fish for cats!!! Before I found this site my biggest cat was round 7 or 8 pounds....now its 33pounds and its all due to the information that Ive obtained from this site!!! Good luck in your fishing!!!!

20. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darren, Glad to have you with us and welcome to the BOC.