New to the Ohio River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kindofsudden, Oct 24, 2006.

1. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey everyone. I am going out tomorrow morning for my first crack at some Big Blues on the Ohio River. The problem is, I don't know where to go. I have a 17' Deep V with some good river anchors and lots of heavy gear. I want to fish the cold tailwaters of a deep dam, but I have never been on the Ohio and figured some grizzled old Ohio River veterans could help me out. I would like to keep it to Louisville or Cincinnati areas as I am already driving quite a ways, and detouring off the interstate to somewhere like Markland Dam would add quite a bit of travel. So I'm trying to keep it close to I-65 or I-74.

Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Jason, I am not from your area however I just wanted to welcome you I am sure someone will help you out soon. Glad to have you.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC jason

for deep water below the dam your best bet easy either canelton or markland sorry but the falls at louisville just isnt deep

if you know the area you could put in at westport and fish there it usualy runs 45' to 50' in that area but its along way from the dam in either direction

iv never fished canelton area from a boat but im sure some others have , it should be fairly deep down that way .

good luck

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jason,
    The river is pretty high at the moment but the levels are falling which means some heavy current. There will be a lot of debris, both on and below the surface to deal with and you will need some 16oz weights or more to hold a decent size bait in place. Is this your first time out on a big river and are you going alone? If the answer to either of those questions is yes you might want to reconsider your destination till things settle down a bit. Cannelton is about 30 feet right now. I don't know if you can launch at Tell City with the water that high, maybe someone will chime in. I do know that I was down there the last week of September and the river was full of everything from trees to propane cylinders and the levels weren't as high then. The fish were biting though so if you do go out be careful and good luck...W

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The river is up. I would check the levels before deciding on a dam. They can be dangerous, especially with this much flow. It is definately an experience to do with someone who has done it before your first time. If you decide to fish them, be careful and start far away from the dam and view how others are fishing and do not get to close! that water can EASILY pull a 17 foot boat under, and a lifejacket won't keep you afloat either. People have died from getting to close to the dams to fish. So just be careful and good luck!

6. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yikes! I'm an adventurous guy, but it sounds like the smart decision it to wait. That's okay, my fishing buddy needs to stay in the Indy area tomorrow anyway, so the White River it is. I will be watching the forum for good Ohio River locations, though. I'm determined to get down there soon since Flathead activity in central Indiana seems to be dwindling and I have never fished for those big Blue monsters before!

All you Ohio River guys, keep those locations and techniques coming! Thanks for the advice so far.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    your quite welcome brother , we all want to see you get into the bigguns but safety first my brother vern and i plan to go out tomarrow but hat could change depending on the amount of bebris ....:lol: i doubt it will were pretty much diehards when it comes to fishing as most on here know , it wont be our first outing on the river tho :lol: