New to the Gardner area

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by recurvericky, Oct 10, 2006.

1. recurvericky

recurvericky New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I will be moving to Gardner in December from North Carolina and would like to know what rivers or lakes in the area have good catfishing. I have a boat and saw Hillsdale Lake and Clinton on the map. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. herekitty

herekitty New Member

State:
    KS
    You missed Hillsdale! Other wise an excellant job!

3. recurvericky

recurvericky New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Which of the areas you listed are better and What is the preferred bait and set up?

4. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Ricky.im sure someone in your area will give info soon.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Ricky,

Welcome to the BOC. I spend most of my time fishing the rivers, and have little experience on the lakes. That said, for close to home fishing you would be hard pressed to do much better than Gardner Lake for channel cats, and Olathe Lake has produced some big flatheads. The bigger lakes have some big catfish for sure if you want to drive a little further, but finding the fish is the challenge. Shad is always a good bet for bait, but just like anywhere else, it's good to try different baits. What works one day may not the next and vice versa.

For river fishing, the Kansas and Missouri Rivers are just about the only game around. Look here for some access point and ramp locations:

http://www.buildasitefactory.com/index.php?id=123
    http://www.missouririvertrips.com/KansasCity/KansasCity.htm
    http://www.missouririvertrips.com/Columbia/Columbia.htm

The Kansas River is pretty shallow and difficult to run most of the time. In the Missouri, if you can get your boat launched you will always find enough water to get around.

6. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    welcome to the boc.

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Ricky always good to have another kansas Member.

The fish in my avatar was caught at gardner lake at 5:00am on cut shad belly pocket

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    melvern and pomona have some good catting. pomona held the state record flathead for a while. melvern feeds the maris de cygne river witch can be verry productive when its at above normal flow. CPR or their wont be any good spots left:wink:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ricky. Fish Hillsdale quiet a bit for crappie. Getting cold enough to be hitting it soon. The winter fishing will spoil you there.