New to the game and need help

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tigdewalt, Jun 11, 2008.

1. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    I was just taken to a pond by a friend who had stocked it he thought with channel cat but we now know he got flatheads instead the fish have been in here for about 6-7 years and are all (from what we saw) 4-6 pounds.
    I have never fished for flats and need to know what is the best bait and set up for caughting them in this still water. We feel that some need removed to allow for the growth of what is left. I need started with the basics. the pond is about 1 1/2 acres and he put 200 in. how many do you think should be taken to let the big boy grow up.

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You will catch them on small gills or other baitfish whole or cut, and use circle or kahle hooks.I like kahles better because I like to set the hook, as far as how many to remove from the pond I can`t help you there.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You should be able to check with your local county agent to find out how many pounds per acre such ponds in your area will support. Depending on his/her workload, you might even get a personal visit from the agent. Without the use of the county agent, you can do a little math to come up with an answer, although it may not be quite as accurate.

Fish are 4#-6#....call it an average of 5#.
    200 fish stocked...I'll use the figure of 200, but some may have died off.

5# X 200 fish = 1000# of flatheads in the pond, indicating that the pond will support 1000# of flatheads.

I'm not sure what the growth rate of flatheads is, but if you figure 2# per year, then the fish would average 7# after the first year. If you divide 1000# by 7#, you get 143 fish. This means that you should remove 57 fish.

If the fish would average 9# each at the end of the second year, you come up with 1000# divided by 9#, for a total of 111 fish. Since you had already reduced the number of fish to 143, 143-111=32....you should remove another 32 fish.

Eventually, by the time the fish reach, say, an average of 25# each, you're looking at: 1000# divided by 25#, for a total of 40 fish in the pond.

As I said, I don't know how accurate this is, but the figures make sense.

4. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I doubt a pond that small would sustain half as many Flatheads. I would think at the most, maybe 20 if you want them to get big. I wouldn't think you would be able to keep the pond stocked with enough blugill to feed 200. You need to talk with an expert though. What kind of sunfish is the pond stocked with? What are the Flats eating?

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good post Jerry. In Mo. they recommend 100 cats to an acre of water for new stocking. Also 500 bluegill on new stocking. This is recommed to be done in the spring. In the fall they recommend 100 bass be added.
    Then it has to be fished and so many taken out each year. Not sure of those numbers.

Welcome to the BOC Ed.

6. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    About what size do you recommend and how long should I leave it set? we tried some bluegill heads and had alot of problems with turtles getting them. I have read on here that flats don't come to the bait you have to get the bait to them so should I put it out for a period of time then move it ( may help to avoid the turtles if nothing else) and if so how often.

7. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    The pond is full of little (2-5 inch) bluegill probably too many but the few fish that I cleaned for the pond owner really had nothing in their stomach to tell what they were feeding on I checked. I wonder what percent of the cats stocked made it, 50-60%