New to the forums

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Capt_Culver, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello, the name is Josh. I have recently found the site and have been reading a great deal about your sport. I have been fishing for cats for about 15 years. (Not serious though) When we fish, we usually just use it as an opportunity to drink a few sodas. I read where someone thinks the sport is gaining in popularity...well, you now have 1 more in the club. I want to get serious about this. I have really never known anyone who specifically targeted cats....it was always about the bass. We usually target the good eatin' channels. We have always wanted to hook into a big flathead and wandered why we never got any runs.....but, from the posts here, it appears that the big flatheads don't like chicken liver...which is root cause of my problem. We have private access to a decent river here in central Ohio and will be going tomorrow night. I will post up on how well, or not so well we do. I look forward to learning more as I go along.

2. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Josh, Welcome to the BOC!!!!! From Alabama so jump in here with both feet and ask anything you need to know!! we are glad to have you bro!!!

3. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Welcome to the B.O.C.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Josh, glad you could join us!!!

5. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC lots of good info and great people.:big_smile:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Welcome to the BOC where you can learn all you want to know about catfishing, just ask a question and it will get answered.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC:cool2:.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. from Arkansas.

10. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Welcome to the BOC.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member. Especially from Ohio.

12. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey josh...glad you came on here. this site is great. while we fish this weekend we can talk about it and hopefully set up some time to go on hoover....glad everyone is welcoming you on here...this is a good guy folks...really into outdoors stuff and he will certainly fit in perfectly here.

ben

13. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the warm welcome Ben, (and everyone else too) we'll see you this weekend.

BTW, I have access to frozen cut shad. Will this work or will we need to get some live critters?

14. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    just talked to todd bro...we need the real deal. frozen is decent at times but live is where the money is. where we are fishing blue gills will dominate if the flats are hitting. from what i have read the flatties are doing it right now so they aren't biting all that great!!!! creek chubs, hogsuckers.....stuff like that. shad will work too if it's fresh and the channels will tear into it as well. we need to just bring a few little poles and some wax worms and crawlers and get into the bluegill...i will bring a minnow bucket to keep them in. i am actually thinking of going tomorrow afternoon out to hoover in a spot i can pull 30 to 40 gills out of in 15 minutes...just gonna take the micro down and pluck. as for cast netting we can net shad but not gills from what i know. if there are shad or bait fish pools anywhere up where we fish i will snag them for sure i got pretty good with the cast net last year. i think the key will be me and u running out in your boat as the sun settles and spot casting with the net...basically look for activity and net into it if that's possible.

ben

15. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am sure we will find something. Looking forward to it.

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Josh, Welcome to the BOC!!!

Freah cut or live works best for BIG Flatheads!!! Frozen shad, if not done prperly, will be mushy and, lack the blood or scent to attract them.

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C.! I hope you enjoy this site just half as much as I do!!!

18. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    welcome to the boc

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    A welcome from Missouri Josh.

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member