New to the forums and a question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rodfather23, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Rodfather23

Rodfather23 New Member

State:
    Ark
    First off I'd like to say hello to everyone here...this is my 1st post

and also I have a question

I just began fishing for catfish in a local small lake which is about 8 acres. I am not having any luck what so ever in this lake. I've seen people catch catfish out of here before and I know the stock it at least once of twice a year. Below is a pic of the lake I am talking about. It is man made so, so there isn't any trees or any other coverage in the lake except for the pier....which I labeled Dock in green in the image below. The red square areas are the places I've tried so far with no luck. There is a fresh water pump which is labeled in blue...which pumps water daily. The people I have talked to said they catch most of their fish on Premo super sticky dip. So I tried that and some of the regular hog wild dip bait tonight.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3350/lakevd0.jpg aerial view of the lake....you can tell its size from looking at the tennis courts and the parking lots.

So if it is possible from the info I gave you and the picture in the link above, could anyone give me some idea of where the catfish might be hiding?

I've tried early morning (5am) and at night. I've mostly used chicken livers, except for tonight, when a friend and I tried the 2 dip baits listed above.

Thanks,
    Rod

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Rod try the shallow water around the points and bays try one on bottom and slip float set at 3 to 4 ft on the other pole after so long without a hit adjust the float to different depths untill you find them ,but they should be in shallow water at night

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC Rod!!!
    With water temps in the high 80's, I would try the ledges next to deep dropoffs (shelfs). I am sure that there is some deep water in that lake somewhere but, without knowing the lake it is hard to tell. I went ahead and marked the ereas that I would concentrate on.
    1. The place I would concetrate on the most would be the water inlet whenever it is or has been running.
    2. The other places I would set up on are in the line I drew on the map.

4. Rodfather23

Rodfather23 New Member

State:
    Ark
    Thanks for the replies guys......I'm afraid I cannot see that picture Dreadnaught as I do not have the required 10 posts as of yet.

you wouldn't mind reposting it with http://imageshack.us/ would you?

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't trust things like that, sorry!!! You are only 8 posts away from getting all the extras here on the BOC, Go for it!!! I will help you along. What town are you from?

6. Rodfather23

Rodfather23 New Member

State:
    Ark
    West Memphis Ark............right on the Ms river.

I guess I can just post here and there on the forums to get me to 10 tonight...I hope the mods do not get made at me for it.

7. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC.

8. Rodfather23

Rodfather23 New Member

State:
    Ark
    thank you Angelkitty

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    They ain't gonna git mad atcha buddy, post away!!!

10. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    welcome 2 the BOC

11. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Rod!!
    Trust what JW tells you and try it. Deeper water is better with this warm water. Not too deep though. Set that slip bobber at different depths to find em. Maybe try some other baits too. Cut gills or shad, if theres any in there would be good. If you want to use stink bait give some Sonnys a try, WAY better than premo, IMO. Good luck to you brother!!

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Welcome aboard. As you are aware, catfish go for a variety of baits. I like to stick with whats natural. Bluegills are probably in the lake, so try a few cut up. Around the inlet pump would also be a good place to do a little chumming. Just don't let anyone see what you are doing or you might not have room to fish there the next time you go out.

13. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Rod. Good luck in your cat quest, the guys gave you some good info!!

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Rod, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

15. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC bud it is a good site to be on.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome to the boc

17. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a25:Welcome to The BOC Family Rod.:0a23::big_smile_2:

18. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

19. Rodfather23

Rodfather23 New Member

State:
    Ark
    Well I just got back from fishing this small lake again. I got there at about 6:30 and left about 8:30. I was about the only one out there fishing and I only had one bite. Again I used the Hog wild original Dip and the Premo original super sticky. I tried the leader at between about 15 and 25 inches with a tight line Carolina rig. I fished around the water pump and also tried fishing out in the very center of the whole lake. Is it just not good weather to catch catch fish around here right now? The barometer was about 30 even when I left and it was about 90 degrees when I arrived......very few clouds in the sky. On a plus note though......I saw a school of shad swimming around I think I might invest in a cast net and try to catch some. There were also minnows all around the shore.

About how much do cast nets run? I'll probably just get it from walmart...although there is a bass pro in memphis pretty close to me.

20. Rodfather23

Rodfather23 New Member

State:
    Ark
    I forgot to add......thank you to everyone for all the kind greetings!