New To The Forum

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Raven Blayde, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey everyone! Just thought I'd make a post before going out for another morning of failure! :angry: I've been hitting the river every weekend (rain or shine) all summer now with VERY dissapointing results so far. My goal has been to land a few monster cats, but so far nothings working. I'm putting the boat in at Lockport and heading up river. Due to issues with my boat, I'm only going up river a few miles, just in case I get stuck. :smile2: I've tried livers, stink baits and bluegill (bluegill have been the only thing producing any catches so far). The stinkbaits have done nothing and the livers are getting pecked off by smaller fish and gar. What I've been doing lately is using homemade bobbers (made out of platic water bottles) with bluegill as the bait. I start off by getting around 15-20ft off of the banks and drop the bluegill (with a sinker) to the bottom. I bring the bait off the bottom a foot or two and attach the homemade bobbers. I let the bobbers drift away from the boat till I think they are far enough away and stop them. I'll then go to my electric trolling motor and put it on the lowest setting it has and start heading up the banks as slow as I can get it to go. Then I'll drift back on the other side of the river when I'm ready to go home (usually 8-10 hrs later). So far, I've landed 2 flatheads, 2 blue cats and a bass using this method. Sadly, the largest fish has only been a couple of pounds and the fact that this is all I've produced all summer long has me pretty baffled to say the least!!! ALL of these fish were caught in one stretch of rock banks within sight of the boat ramp. I've tried fishing the deeper water- Nothing. Tried night fishing twice- Nothing. So far, early morning is when all my fish are being caught. It's a little after 4am and I'm getting ready to head out with hopes that the rainfall will get them in the mood to bite. One thing I have noticed that has me a bit concerned is that I've seen several large cats floating down the river belly up. There is construction of some sort going on up river at Lock #3 . I'm wondering if this is what's causing the lousy fishing (or if I'm really that unlucky) . Anyone else here fishing this strech of river?

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey Bobby, welcome brother. keep ya head up. good luck out there today. goin bassin myself. had to leave the cats alone for awhile.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Bobby. Were glad to have ya bro.:wink:

4. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Welcome to the BOC, Bobby. I haven't been fishing that area lately, but I am sure someone else on here has been. Lots of good people and good information. I hope your luck changes soon. Bee careful and good luck.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Bobby. Keep at it man, you will catch one sooner or later. Get to know some BOC members on here and I am sure someone will take you out and show you a thing or two. Andrew PS If not luck by October when i get home, I will take you out.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC brother!!! some years are better than others and in my findings, this year is not near as good as some others. i think its the rainy weather myself.

8. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    welcome to the boc

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bobby Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Remember it only takes one cast to turn your luck around. Be patient you day will come.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Bobby and welcome to the BOC. You may give out but don't give up-it's been a pretty rough year for everybody.:smile2: Stay safe and the fishing will get better!!!:wink:

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Bobby! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :big_smile:

12. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    welcome from one new member to another:big_smile:

13. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A big thanks to all for the many warm welcomes! :big_smile: This weekends trip was the norm (nothing would bite except for the gar) lol... The river was very muddy, swift and dangerous. Put the boat in the water at 5:30am and fished until 4:00pm (maybe next weekend will be better). Thanks again everyone!!

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC Bobby

15. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    welcome the BOC! I have had some luck drifting in 30' of water with live shad, maybe give that a try...couldnt hurt.:wink:

16. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Have u tried fishing the dam at lockport?Have had some luck in front of the dam in years past.Haven't fished there lately.

17. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    And welcome to the boc!:big_smile:

18. stinkyrod

stinkyrod New Member

State:
    kentucky
    welcome bobby I havent had much luck this year either fishing the west point area so far about 12 fish about 10 pounds my largest

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Welcome Bobby to the BOC,,You'll get into them sooner or later, Bro. and don't feel lonely, I've only caught a few fish all year.compared to last yr about this time I had 100's of fish in the freezer and all over 9-10lb released.

Been to busy to fish:wink::sad2:

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bobby.