New to the forum-Hello and Introduction

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Grits, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Hello ya'll. They call me The Grits and I have the catfishing bug bad. I fished non stop as a young man but mainly for bream, crappie, and bass. My buddies and I ran trot lines on Peckerwood through high school and college but that is the extent of my catfishing experience. I stopped fishing in my twenties due to work and other activities.

I started fishing again Memorial Day weekend. I went bream fishing and ended filling the ice chest up with channel cats that were all about three pounds. I have been catching them in a farm pond with my record at 10 1/4 pounds. I can't wait to hit the Arkansas River and search for the big blues or anything big that bits.

I am almost finished redoing my old 1979 Tracker replacing all the wood and carpet with aluminum sheet metal and anti-slip deck paint, anchors, rod holdders, fish finder, spotlight, etc. I have had the boat for ten years and just put it in the water for the fist time. Why would anyone want carpet in a fishing boat? It is all I can do to keep from ruining carpet in my house. The boat has quite a bit of room in the center and it is not one of those all deck models.

Quite honestly, I have no idea where to start. I have a couple of 8' Ugly Stick Catfish rods with baitcaster reels. I have been fishing with Salties in my reservoir and doing well. I have read both books written by Catfish Sutton and that is the extent of my knowledge.

I welcome any advise on where and how to start fishing. I live in Little Rock and I am not afraid to drive to where the best fishing is. I grew up in Stuttgart so I am actually more familiar with the area around lock and dam #1 and #2.

Thank you all and have a great weekend. Catch a big one.

Grits

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    First, I would like to welcome you to the B.O.C. Second you just joined the best catfish club in the world, third, I am willing to show you some fishing holes on the Arkansas river., here in my neck of the woods, I have caught some nice ones here. Just give me a call to set up a fishing time and date 1-479-293-0080 ask for Top, we will fish!

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to BOC. There is a ton of info at your disposal to check out. You will notice most people will say for big fish use big baits, mainly bream head halves. Mid and smaller ones take well to worms/liver. Use at least 20lb test and a 3/0 or bigger hook depending on bait. You can decide on hook and line types by looking in the tackle areas. For me its Bream, 4/0 circle hooks backed up with 15lb power pro ( scary, kinda light). And oddly to everyone I use 5.5 foot ugly sticks. Also there is a good introduction area going if you would like to check it out.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    WElcome to the BOC Roger.

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. If you ever head up to the Grand Lake of the Cherokees area give us a holler.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Roger Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Be sure and check out the BOC library.

7. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i'm a new member also , welocome from WESTERN CO,

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome Grits to the BOC from a neighbor to your north.
    You guys don't actually eat those grits down there do ya..??..:wink:
    Good to have you aboard....

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Welcome aboard fellow Arkie. Lots of us here. Loads of info from Tops about the river there....where to fish, catch bait, etc. I'm sure he'll fill you in. Can't tell you much since I'm at the north end of the state. You're gonna have to make it to the National/International Gathering at Kentucky Lake next September. Get to meet all the handsome guys and beautiful women that are members here.

10. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome from NE Florida... Get that Tracker finished and get some catfish slime on'er...

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Grits... does that go with "corn pone"? Seems like that is a southern delicacy. LOL. But at any rate, welcome to the B.O.C. Watch out for those bare footed Arkansas girls... theres one who frequents the site. ROTFLMAO.

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to The BOC Roger. :wink:

13. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the best family in the web Roger, glad you decided to join us.

14. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from greenwood AR.

15. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark

16. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    We eat grits down here every chance we get and there is more than one way to fix 'um. The best are stone ground when you can find them. "Jim Dandy" brand is very good.

Another thing we eat is rice. I am a rice farmer so every time you take a bite, thank you.

I have a jon boat on a reservoir on my farm. I have fished out of it since I was a kid (the boat and the reservoir). I have been catching channel cats by the boatload. They range from three to ten pounds. I know there has to be one over twenty, I just have not caught him yet.

I went this afternoon and things were slow. I have been using a Carolina rig with a 5/0 or 6/0 hook. I use a float right above the triple swivel to keep the bait off the bottom. It is what we call a dead timber reservoir meaning a levee was build around a patch of woods and then flooded. It is fifty years old but still has more logs, stumps and whatever than you can imagine. I have gone through a ton of bell sinkers. I have been using Saltys and cut shad for bait. You never know what they will bite and today they did not bite anything.

Today, I used a bottom bumper and drifted from one end to the other. The mosquotes were so bad I think I need a blood transfusion. I got one hit and lost it. What is a good speed range to drift?

Good Luck,

Grits

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm 39yrs old and never fished in a boat so I cant help ya there. My only guess is a little faster than the mosquitoes, lol.

18. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Welcome aboard Grits, good to see another arkie. When we drift, we use drift socks if the wind is to much and try to keep it under 1mph, just bumpin along. Float works great to keep the bait up and usually 1-2 oz of lead on long leader. I try to put the bait anywhere from a foot to 3 depending on where they are biting. Good luck to ya. Mac

19. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    First off. Welcome to the BOC grit(Roger). There is not much that i can say that has not been said. This is a great site. There are a couple of members around your area that would be more than happy to hook up with you and do some fishing. One of those members is myself. Some others from Lilltle rock is the Jtrew bunch( Jerry,Paul,Kimber). You can give me a hollar anytime at (501)315-0456, and we can hook up. need any help with that boat, don't hesitate to ask! Check out our Library - it has some real useful information on rod holders etc...

I am also the host of the annual Arkansas gathering held the first weekend of May. I want to take this time to invite you and your family to join us on Lake Degray the first weekend of May, 2008 for our second annual Degray Gathering. PM me with any questions you might have.

By the way, one of those Arkansas barefoot women that Awshucks is referring to is probably my wife and BOC member, Angelkitty(Patricia Styers). You will see plenty of her on here. She loves the BOC and bounces all over the place on here!

20. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Awshucks post: Grits... does that go with "corn pone"? Seems like that is a southern delicacy. LOL. But at any rate, welcome to the B.O.C. Watch out for those bare footed Arkansas girls... theres one who frequents the site. ROTFLMAO. Posted by AwShucks.

Welcome to the B.O.C. from Benton , Arkansas. Alright AwShucks. I know you are talking about me.:big_smile::smile2::wink: Grits watch out for them there Okies, Espeacialy one of them. :eek:oooh::smile2:
    Maybe two of them one is an instagator lol.