New To the Flats

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by IaCAT, Jun 30, 2008.

1. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello Guys. First off, I'd let to say that this site is amazing. I'll be reading old threads for a couple days now. I just moved to a new location in Iowa, one with a little more potential in finding flatheads in the local rivers.

There are a couple of dams on the Des Moines and Iowa rivers that I plan on going to. These areas usually consists of rock and fast water. So my first question would be what tactics should I use? I'll be fishing from the shore. I plan on using bluegills (hooked through the nose?) and cut bait. I've fished for channels for years. I've caught flatty's before, however, nothing of size.

Right now my gear is med/heavy. I'm thinking I'm gonna splurge and get an Abu Garcia 5600CB and a 6-7" Ugly Stick to match it.

I'm open for any suggestions! Thanks fellas.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    check out the articles writen by our members and you'll learn a lot!

welcome to the b.o.c. : tim

3. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you are going to get the ambassador I would go with the 6000 b/c it holds more line and it has the bait clicker for only about 10 dollars or so more than the 5600 I have one of each and I love that 6000.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree that you might want to go bigger than the 5600. I consider the 5600 more of a channel cat/bass reel.

Flatheads like current, but not too fast. If the water below the dam is fast, then look for deeper eddies and such where the flatheads can hunt and get out of the main flow.

5. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    first off welcome to the BOC. i absolutely hate fishing fast currents. but if i were you i would get 30 pound test some heavy sinkers some big circle hooks and go at night. thats the only time ile fish for flatheads, at night if go somewhere where they are flatheads but its daylight, i dont care i will not fish. so just get that eqipment and rig it to your liking and if you want a little more lively bait try using small crappie.

6. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the advise guys. I was thinking about hitting that spot on Thursday since I don't have to work but they are still letting out a little too much water.

As for the rig, the 6000 looks like its a good buy. I don't want to get too carried away on how heavy of gear I have. I want to be able to use this rig for channels too.

Anyone have any ideas on keeping the gills alive for say like 40 mins? Thats how far away the spot is.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    get a ice chest and fill with water then use a airator or bilge pump i use a bilge pump and they will make it i go 3 hrs sometimes and i get them there alive

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try and find some slack water..I have been fishing for flats for 25 years, and can count on one hand the fish I have caught in heavy current

9. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks guys. I've only fished these tailwaters once. They were letting out a decent amount of water then and there was plenty of slackwater. However, normally I don't think that slack water is usually there.

How did you guys make your bait "storage" aeration pumps?

10. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I use a Rubbermaid Cooler with a Fish Saver from Walmart. The cooler was 14 dollars and the Fish Saver was around 22. Hooked up an old 12V power supply from an old CB Friend that he got rid of and put it in the shed. Using just plain deep well water I have been able to keep them alive and use them for fishing 3 days. If you have chlorinated water then there is a dry chem that you
    can add to the water that will reduce the chlorine, help with making the water with oxygenation and helps the bait fish maintain their slim for protection. It is in a small bottle at Walmart near the pumps and bilege area. Once your ready to go fishing you can move them over to a small bait bucket and use a portable aerator that runs on 2 D cell batteries and it will run nearly all night long. One thing that I would suggest doing is change your water out every few hours in the smaller bait bucket to help with the O2 saturation. Hope this helps, works for me.:wink:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the boc, this site is full of good info and great people

12. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa

Hey can you get a picture up of your cooler setup? I've been browsing on the net on various setups and your style would fit my needs. Once I get to my location I plan on putting them in a fish basket or my old school minnow/chub bucket.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can add a little ice to cool the water down and that keeps them alive for a fairly long time.i catch chubs from a creek over in the mountains and thats how i get them home.

14. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    If your gong to target flats and want your rod reel to double as a channel setup i would step it up to a 6500 paired with a berkly glowstick 8ft med heavy.I have this setup and it works perfect for me except for i have all are 7000s. Fish flats creek mouths at night and tight to cover in the day (submerged cover) with current breaks of some sort ex drop offs back from riffles where current slows from riffle and reaches 8-12ft seems to be best on my river. As far as bait tank i have a wheelie cooler as big as you want to haul with 2 portable air pumps from cabelas. i just simply drilled two holes in the top to run the air hose into cooler and put a bungee on handles to clip the aireators to. I usually bring about 2 dozen baits and a cast net for if i need more.

15. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Here are some pics of the bait saver I set up. Pretty simple with a cooler and bilege. One thing I did do is make or add on connectors to the end of the wire.... This way I can plug in or out as needed to move or put away or take in someone elses boat. These are called Anderson Power poles. They are rated for 45 amps which is well more than needed for any boat equipment. I use Anderson Power poles on most everything. GPS, Radio, Spot lights and much more. They are designed that you can plug them in while it is dark and not cross polarity. They will only plug in one way. Red to Red and Black to Black or however you set it up.

Attached Files: