New to the flathead catfish!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BAMA_CAT, Jun 6, 2007.

1. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I just got my first boat and have know idea where to start looking for Flatheads Any help PLEASE!!!!!! Thanks Brothers and sisters

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    cover, cover, cover. whether lake or river flats like ambush spots where they can hang out and snatch food as it goes by. deep holes, rock piles, downed trees are all prime habitat.

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    COOL thanks bro we have a lot of that here. now above or below the dam? Thanks for the help

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's a matter of taste - persoanlly, I like rivers. For me it's about moving water. That's partly because it's easier to read a river than a lake.

First off, if it's not already obvious, get fresh live local baitfish. Sunfishes are always a good bet.

In the small to medium rivers I fish, I look for spots where the channel runs right up next to the bank and there's a good stretch of cover in the area. I'd rather have a 1/2 mile long stretch of bank with pretty good cover than one huge isolated snag (although those are good, too). The average depth of my favorite river is only a few feet right now, but the channel will run maybe 6 feet along one bank or the other, with holes here and ther that go down to 10 or 12 feet. Find on of those holes right on the bank and fish near (not in) the cover. I almost always have one bait as close to the bankside cover as I dare, one bait straight back in the hole, and one tossed out into the open, towards mid river. The inside bait and the one in the hole tend to get most of the action, but the one out on the flat has gotten me a couple of my best fish.

That's what's been working for me, anyway. Good luck! (and let all know how things work for you.)

5. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    anywhere ther is structure, rocks, stumps, trees. also anywhre there mite be a river flowing into a lake or reservoir if thats whre ur fishing

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Chad, everything John said is gospel. Flatheads prowl the river banks after dark cause thats where all the smaller fish go looking for safety. Why do you think limb liners have such good catches? lol. I also agree with his assesment of large log jams. Yes they might hold fish but everybody else knows it too and these spots get hit hard. Find a "stretch" of water with single logs, maybe a couple small jams along a 100 to 300 yrd length of bank and set up in the middle of it and hang on. You won't always catch 30+lb fish but you will get to catch flatheads and all you have to do is fine tune your approach from there. If all you catch is 20 and under move to a different stretch. Big flats chase the smaller ones away, into less desireable locations. Once you find the larger ones, go back and figure out the why and the where. It may be 1/2 foot of water, or maybe sand instead of mud or rocks. It may be baitfish or size of the wood. We all love big wood LOL. If you have a memory like mine it may help to keep a log of your fishing trips, even the ones where you didn't catch anything. As to what to write down... Write every thing you can think of. Water temp, air temp, water clarity, bait used, bait size, water level, moon phase....etc

7. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    doing that log is a really good idea to keep track... i like that, thanks