New to the BOC in PHX

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by DryHeat, Oct 23, 2007.

1. DryHeat

DryHeat New Member

State:
    arizona
    A couple of weeks ago I was shopping at Sportsmans Warehouse and while looking over the pic's on the wall at the exit doors I saw one of the biggest Cats ever......on the picture someone wrote in black marker "CATFISH1.COM" across the top. I had no idea there was a catfish site. Since finding this catfish heaven......many, many hours have been spent browsing messages and pictures. Thanks to all of you for the many pics and wealth of information. The picture above is me fishing from a float tube at the Mogollon Rim near Payson......this camping trip was for trout with family and friends. I would love to get more catfishing done hear in AZ but dont know many other catfish guys....appparently I'm the only one in my group that would prefer the big ugly cat over Bass or Trout. Any advice here in AZ ?? I know Roosevelt or Bartlett would be the closest but am also willing to go down to the Yuma or Patagonia area. I am going to get out before it gets any colder but could use some bait help: using carp, what do you catch them on and how to cut or hook them whole? Same thing for the bluegills.....never had a problem catching them but how do you hook them? I've always used hotdogs or livers for cats but would like to try and get into the bigger ones. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Hello Dustin and Welcome to the BOC. Like you said there is a wealth of info here and there are a few members from AZ to help you out, I am sure.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    welcome to the BOC Dustin... there are many catmen in your neck of Az....hang in there and they will come to your posts..... Some speek very highly of Roosie....

from Los Angles on the beach.... bayrunner ray

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Welcome to the BOC! I have a polaroid up at the Mesa Sportsman's Warehouse, but I didn't have catfish1.com written on it, I believe mine says BOC. I think that is awesome that you found out about the site from a picture though, thats great advertising.

For big flatheads, you can't go wrong with fishing Bartlett or Roosevelt with live sunfish or bluegill, I don't bother making the drive to Yuma or Patagonia, although I would like to some day just to get to know places. In my mind, Roosevelt and Bartlett offer some of the premier flathead shorefishing opportunities in our nation.

Hook a live sunfish or bluegill straight through its back, just behind the end of the dorsal fin, and about 1/4" down, shallow enough that the bait will pop free for the hookset and to prevent damaging the spine of the fish, but thick enough to survive a cast. Some choose to hook through the eyes or nostrils, but I'm pretty sure it kills your bait faster. Clear the hook point of scales from when it was pushed through too, I feel they are hard enough to interfere with a hookset.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hello there. check the colorado river posts. there are several of us az catfishermen around. i fish mainly out of yuma.
    use mainly gills for bait. always hook through open mouth and out roof of mouth. only go in deep enough to make sure hook will still in though. then gill will always face into current and not drown.
    gary

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Welcome AZ Brother, you will find everything you need here to make you a better catman in az. Stick to Roosie and Bartlett, that is where the big ones live!! Catching carp couldnt be easier than throwing out some canned corn, take a small hook, put a couple kernals on the hook, small split shot and cast to where you threw the corn, within 30min to an hour you should have enough carp to make thanksgiving dinner!! If they are small enough just use the carp live and hook behind dorsal like SilencedMajority said, but larger carp you will need to cut up and use as cutbait. I perfer live gills, use like a carolina rig, --weight 2-4oz, bead, swivel, then around a 8"-24" leader then a nice 7-10/0 hook pinned in behind the dorsal or lower behind the anal fin. cast it out and Hopefully you have a reel with a bait clicker, set the clicker and have a nice cold "adult beverage"!!! or 6!!:wink: wait for the clicker and set the meat!!! Now is the time to fish, the flats are feeding for winter fat storages, and the channels are not far behind.!! Good luck and welcome!!

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Dustin, welcome to the BOC/SOC.

8. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome to the forum. Hours and more hours on good info in here. Enjoy.:big_smile:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Your going to love this BOC family. Lots of catrfishing info to be shared.

10. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC :big_smile:

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Dustin, Welcome to the BOC buddy!!!

Remember this,
    CATFISH AIN"T UGLY!!!
    Catfish are at the top of the food chain in rivers and lakes, everything is either bait or future catfood, LOL!!!

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Dustin.

14. shadesaz

shadesaz New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome to the BOC

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome to the boc

16. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome to the board Dustin. You will find plenty of locals who will be more than willing to help you out. It will be tough when you first start out but just stay with it and don't hesitate to ask for help. Good luck and hope to see you posting some pic's in the future.

17. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a25:Welcome to The BOC Dustin. :0a25:

18. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Welcome to the BOC, from SC.

19. DryHeat

DryHeat New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. There are some great looking photos out there and soon I will be sharing some pics of my own monster pics.

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Can't wait to see 'em..

Welcome to the BOC bro~ Do you go to the Sportsman's on 27th Ave??
    ~ I had one picture of my state record up.. But someone pulled it down several months ago.. I still have one picture up of a few cats I got at Bartlet last year. They were 40 and 32 lbs. Certainly big and certainly big for Bartlet.. But you can find them bigger..

Stick around, you can learn a lot from the people that frequent this site..
    ~A