New to the BOC, and need some help.

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CPD159, Jul 9, 2007.

1. CPD159

CPD159 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello to all fellow BOC members, what a great site. To begin with I'm an avid Bass fisher and crappie. Recently I have went out with a few friends doing some night catfishing. I haven't done this since I was a tennager and forogt how fun it was. I fish on Raccoon Lake because it's hard to get the Ranger on smaller lakes if you know what I mean. First night out we caught a 5# channel and a couple of 2# Channels. So I thought I know what I'm doing, LOL. Wrong. The last 4 times I've been out, I haven't even got a bite. Been fishing on Chicken Liver, Shrimp, Earthworm and no luck. I fish around 10pm to 4am and nothing. I've fished the Dam, several coves, the bridge on hwy 36 and nothing. Need some help in where to look for the cats, and maybe presentation help. Thanks for a great site and any help in advance.

2. shovelfisher05

shovelfisher05 New Member

State:
    ohio/indana
    if your fishing for channel cats your not far off base i yuse the same bait as you pluse i would use hotdogs also and would fish around dams coves and bridges so maby the fish arnt biteing thier cauz thay dont seem to be anywhere else for me, how ever if you want to fish for big cats flatheads and such you may want to change a few thiings.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dennis.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25::0a23:Dennis Welcome to the BOC.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a25:Welcome to the BOC .:0a25:

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    welcome to the B.O.C. best catfishing community on the planet.
    I would suggest buying a cast net and learn how to catch shad. Chances are you already have a fish finder on your boat and should be able to mark bait schools on it which are usually shad. Depending on the size of the shad, you can use them cut or alive. They work great for channels and blue cats.

Now if you are after the big flatheads, get you some live bluegills,creek chubs,suckers or goldfish if legal there. Flatheads will be around submerged timber,stumps,log jams and large rocks or concrete slabs. Good luck

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC neighbor. When fishing for channels, I would use fresh cut bait. That is shad if you have a castnet, cut bluegill if you have to catch them 1 by 1. Check your state regs for legal bait types. A baitfish is good for 2-3 pieces of bait the way I do it. I use the head and I filet the sides usually. Sometimes I use the head then cut the tail off and use the gut area. You might try drifting to find the fish. Use that rangers depth finders to your advantage. If they are hanging out in 12 feet of water, find 12 feet areas over the entire lake. To drift, we fasten a three way rig with just enough weight to keep the bait down with the bait on a 6-8 inch leader about 12 inches from the bottom. Then we toss the bait out approx 5 feet, no casting here.... Then you just wait for those fellers to yank your rod to the water. I cannot tell you how many times I have caught channels in the middle of the lake. Until 2 years or so ago I didn't believe it, but I have been well schooled.

Good Luck,
    Shawn(Coshocton)

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC...I've never fished Racoon, but from personal experience I do my absoluate best with live baits for any sort of catfishing...if your targeting eater sized ones, minnows, shiners, goldfish, small 2-3" bluegills work great...if your looking for bigger channels/flatheads use larger live baits and fresh cut baits, for cut bait try and use the main forage of the lake ie. shad, bluegills, green sunfish, wutever the fish will most likely feed on in there. I've been having similiar luck lately with my fishing though, the waterways are low and people have hit them pretty hard. Get out there after this rain we are about to get.

10. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

11. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, glad to have you.

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. from Arkansas.

13. CPD159

CPD159 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks everybody for the warm welcome, I'm glad I stumbled onto this group. I will probably go ack out Wed. night late after some rain and give some of your tips a try. Thanks again.

14. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    welcome to the BOC. i have fished racoon lake alot in the past. there is alot of good fish still in there. is there still the old bridge submerged down toward one end? i had luck down there. i used punch bait and shrimp there and had lots of luck. i also cuaght some gills and used them too. hooked em thru the back fin just before the fin actually and cuaght nice 5-8lb cats.

15. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    welcome to the BOC

i like to use live gills hooked just before the back tail and toss em out by the dam. also try shrimp in the cove but douse em with garlic first adn then just let them float to the bottom.

16. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hi Dennis. Welcome to the BOC! Looks like we're
    both pretty new here. Is'nt this place great?
    Just so you don't feel alone about your recent
    fishing luck,It's been poor for me as well.
    It seems like the fishing turned off like a switch
    in July.But like every weekend I'm heading back
    out in the morning. I'm not giving up.Don't you
    do it either! Good Luck!!!

17. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

18. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to our lovely home here at the BOC...I hope you enjoy your stay and don't forget to check out the Library for tips it will help...

We look forward to seeing some great post and great photo's from you...Good Luck and Keep on fishing...:smile2:

19. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Welcome to the BOC. Me and you are in the same boat as far as raccoon lake. I went out there for a whole weekend with everything even shad caught fresh from the lake and didnt catch crap. >_>:confused2:

20. plukr54

plukr54 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Dennis. Looks like they have pointed you in the right direction. Can`t beat live bait!!