New to South Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by wildd, Feb 22, 2006.

1. wildd

wildd New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey guys,

I just arrived at Shaw AFB in sumter sc less than a year ago. I like to fish for all kinds of fish. I love bass fishing but not as much as I love catching big cats. I was new to the sport when I had to move here. Thats what stinks about the military, as soon as you make some buds and find somegood spots its time to move again. Anyway, I have a boat and have fished the Wateree lake and river as well as lake marion for bass. I am taking a week off in march and plan on trying out lake moultrie for some monster cats. Can anyone give me a 101 on were to go, what bait to use, the best rig for the rods and such? I hate to be a bother but I havent caught a cat over 6-10 lbs in a few years and I have the fever bad. Is there anyone out there free to go with that week? I have the boat, truck, gas, etc, I just can't see paying $300 for a catfish guide for one day. I appreciate all you guys help.:confused:

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, Dan. I suggest that you PM Blackwaterkatz - he can provide you with allotta good info.

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Dan.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lake Monticello has some big Blues, and it is relatively close to you. Lake Wateree has some nice fish, including the 29 pounder in my avatar. Cut bream and crappie will work well for you. Bream heads and crappie fillets are my bait of choice.

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Guides are expensive but id recommend going with them at least once. You will learn a lot. Of course going with anyone with experience will help you just as much. Have you ever drift fished? need to get a drift sock (@30$ from walmart), this will slow your drift and also keep you drifting a little straighter than without one. Your normal catfish rig will work, just add a small float about 6-8" from hook. Lets you cover more ground, great for when bites are slow. Drift over edge of channels

Attaching a picture of 2 rigs I use. At work so its just crappy photoshop drawings :p

Attached Files:

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the board.

Wateree is a great place to fish.

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Wildd welcome to the best site on the net!

8. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    welcome to the BOC!!! A number one here!

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Dan, welcome to South Carolina and the BOC. You are located where you can choose from several good places to fish within fairly short driving distance. The upper end of Lake Marion will be turning on any time now for prespawn cats, as the water starts warming up. There is a KingKats tournament this Saturday at Santee State Park, on the west side of the lake. If you have the time, you could show up near weigh-in, and observe those guys. I learned a lot early on by listening to some of the competitors at local tourneys. I talk with folks at the landings regularly, and many of them are willing to share information, especially with a newcomer, if approached in a friendly manner. The bite has been slowed lately by the weather, but the water will start warming up real soon and continue to warm. This will bring the big cats into the shallows, especially near the islands in Marion. Right now, the flats near channels may be the best bet, except later in the day when the sun has warmed the shallows. Get a good chart if you haven't already, and you can locate those areas. Also watch the other boats out there. If fish are biting, they tend to congregate, and most will be fishing in the same style. The rigs such as Kevin posted will work almost anywhere up there.
    I've been wanting to get up to marion and fish some, but I've just got too much going on right now.
    Good luck with that fishing.

10. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Dan, welcome to the board to a fellow Shaw Airplane patch man. Spent four years there with the old RF-4C...didn't have them nice F-16's. Anyhow, the only thing I can add to Tommy's great advice is fish often, don't give up on no fish days (there will be plenty) and take full advantage of the fishing opportunities that are all around you from the greatest catfishing lake in the world, Santee Cooper to great coastal salt water action. I'm on Lake Wylie. anout 90 minutes North of you with the best crappie action in the Southeast. And don't forget, the '04 Bassmasters was on Wylie. One last thing...round up a few fellow airmen, split the cost, and get yourself a guide at Santee...The knowledge you will gain will be worth far more than the one-time cost. Look over the board...plenty of good recomendations on guides. I'l be glad to offer my choice...PM me if you're interested. Best of luck for a great fishing year.

Steve
    Shaw AFB
    1977-1980

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good response, Tooncat. I intended to suggest sharing the cost, but forgot to, so thanks for that. And, hey, don't let anyone put down those F-4's. They were my favorites in 'Nam. I loved the sound of those 20mm gatlins burping. :cool:
    I still miss seeing the rf's flying around this part of the state like they used to. I thought the wart hogs were cool, too.

12. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Miss the 'hogs to Tommy. That's the think about Santee....besides the fishin, the boys in blue can add to the experience. Nothing lake a lazy drift down the diversion canal and all of a sudden a C-17 buzzes you at 200ft!

13. Southedisto

Southedisto New Member

State:
    SC
    Dont spend any money on a guide. Get a SC gazzetteer, look for lowfalls landing. Once you find it, PM and Ill give you directions to a good spot. Spakleberry swamp is a honey hole for lines and duck hunting. Also, the lower lake/diversion canal area is a honey hole. If you can get theoutfisherman to show you around the lower lake area, you will be swimming in fishes. If you are interested in the combahee, or edisto rivers let me know.

14. REELFUN

REELFUN New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the board! And a big salute for serving our country!

15. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Glad to have on board the BOC you can find a lot of info here.

Ace :0a25:

Gastonia N.C.