New to site. Re addicted to fishing.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZOutlaw, Jul 7, 2009.

1. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well, I am new to this site. I am just getting back into fishing. I enjoy all kinds of fishing. Having a 2 pole tag I like to toss one in and let it sit while I fish for whatever bites on the other one. I do however love to reel in a nice cat. I like to stay close to home, it lets me spend more time fishing than driving. I joined this site looking for hints and tips to catching more fish.

I am not looking at spending tons of money on equipment. I have seen a record catfish caught on a barbie pole. What I have now (Fathers day present) is a Zebco Hawg seeker. It is pretty cool to me ( a little gimmicky but cool). I live in Chandler and frequent Tempe Town Lake. I have never caught anything out of there but it is relaxing to sit there alone in the quite. I travel all over the state with my job and usually I will take a pole with me. I have been fishing since I was little but It was always a worm and a bobber. I would like to step up my game a bit and acctually start catching fish.

Lets start with Tempe Town Lake and Urban lakes in the Chandler/Tempe area. What are good times of day. Good places at the lakes/ponds, what is a good way to set up your line and what are the best baits that work at these places.

Sorry for such a long post, I just want to start catching fish so I can get my 5 year old back into it. He has had no luck the past few times and is loosing interest.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC There are plenty of people on here that can and will answer any question you have.

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the boc.Make your self at home:big_smile:

4. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Fine then, I will kick off my shoes and throw back a few Dos Equis!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

6. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    I also have just found this site and it's great. I have already got some tips and pointers on here, so really dig around and you will find all the info you want. try shrimp carolina rigged at ttl.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. You will find alot of people her share your passion for fishing, as do I. You will learn alot of good info here and meet some great folks. Welcome again. SGT Shorey out

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web!

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Nick welcome to the BOC,There are quite afew BOC member's from your state that should come along soon and give you some good advice. Fish On

10. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    One of my favorite spots! best fishing is at night. I caught my biggest fish on night crawlers slip rig. shrimp works very well there to. that new secret 7 dip bait is another very good one! try getting over to the east side dam. the south bank is closed right now in that area. if you can sneak a pole behind the the damn even better. there is usually alot of small yellow bass to be caught in that area to keep your boy busy! try worms under bobber! also the area is only about four feet deep by the dam

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nick Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. This is a great source for fishing info. Enjoy.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

12. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    GWillE I will be sending a PM to you as soon as I have enough posts.

13. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I am not looking at spending tons of money on equipment. I have seen a record catfish caught on a barbie pole.

To me, good gear = more landed toad catfish, Barbie poles, and cheap Walmart poles are OK, until oneday you hook that monster and it shreds your gear, and you have to always wonder what the heck did that to your gear.
    If you are a flathead fisherman, you kow exactly what I mean. a 40-50 pound flathead will smoke your drags, and snap your pole. I fish in very heavy cover or very fast water, so it is jackhammer set of hook, and winch the fish, aint no barbie or cheap pole going to do that i promise, just like 40 pound mono will snap like nothing in most areas I fish.

14. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Welcome to the BOC, you have found the best site on the web for a chance to catch big CATS!!!!!

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Nick and Johnny.

16. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am a recent convert to this mindset thanks to rob...I was out not long ago (with rob) and hooked into a freight train that doubled over a 6ft saltwater rod and snapped 150lb braid. I've witnessed 6/0 & 7/0 hooks straightened like nails. I have spent the last few months since that event shedding my lighter-weight equipment, replacing it with stouter stuff as I can afford to. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy but I don't care. What's the old saying...don't bring a knife to a gun fight?? Something like that.

17. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Is that why you are called Overkill?

18. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    pretty much :smile2:

Here is where "Overkil" originated from...it's my personalized plate for my explorer...

Attached Files:

19. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    That was a toad fish you were on! then when the line snapped i almost ended up decapitated!!! Hopefully many more hook up like that this summer/fall

20. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That'll teach you to stand right behind me when I'm fighting a toad..:smile2: