New to serious catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by skipper1, Mar 22, 2007.

1. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I am new on this web site and have been fishing ever since i can remember but this year since i'm now 18 I want to start catching cats for real. I always catch two to five pound channals in lake hickory but know I want to really get into the science of catching the fish and wondering if any body can help
    thanx

2. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welacome to the BOC Steven.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Whats Up Steve and welcome to the BOC your shure to find what your looking for on this site. Lotsa good info and more Great people.

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Steve. If you can find out all you need to know about catching the bigger fish, there must not be any bigger fish where you are fishing. Good luck

5. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the Brotherhood, Steven. I think you have found the right place to begin your quest of knowledge on Cats!

Glad to have you with us,
    Garrett

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Steven, were glad yer here!!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Steve!!!

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Steven... If there isn't anyone on this site that can help you improve your catching numbers, then you just can't be helped... and that ain't likely...:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    With lies you may get ahead in life but you can never turn back.
    Old Russian proverb.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Well, there are plenty of people on here that are serious about cats and most are willing to help. Give me some more info. on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. I've heard that Hickory has tons of channels like you said you caught but not very many big fish. PM me with any questions and I'd be glad to help in any way I can. I fish Badin mainly. If you ever want to go out and see the how to's let me know! see ya

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Hey Steven congrats on becomeing a member of this great organiztion. The second thing is where are you located. Im in Fayetteville, and mainly fish The Cape Fear River.

11. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    thanx for the warm welcome. well I usaly fish in lake hickory and have bought a house on the lake and since I'm going to be living their I'ma spend every minute on the lake and want to know what cat species their are and the best bait. plus is catfishing good at this time of year.

ps. let my clarify my orginal post I've only caught a couple 10 and 2 15s. is their any bigger in lake hickory

12. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    If you fish that lake, you are a channel cat fisherman. I fished it for about 4 years and while it does have a lot of cats, it's about like Jordan, Falls and Harris Lakes. Best bet is to get off a Catawba chain lake and head to the Yadkin chain monster factories like High Rock, Tuckertown, Badin, Tillery, Blewett Falls, etc...for the big boys.

Good Luck..........

13. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC. You don't won't to catch any real big fish. Best to stay on Hickory and catch those channel cats, because once catch that first 30 lber, YOU ARE ADDICTED, and there ain't no turning back:lol: . Just ask any of these fellers on here. Its like something has taken over your mind and has control of it. Just kidding though. If I can help you in any way, just let me know. The big one are in the Yadkin lakes and thats your best bet.

14. bowhuntinbubba

bowhuntinbubba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    welcome to the boc steven.

15. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    damn. no blues alright whats the best bait in hickory and whats the leading big fish weigh

16. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    being a channel cat lake your best bet would probible be livers or minnows. just like seaark said once you catch that first 30 lber you are a different kind of beast. I don't fish any small ponds or lakes that don't hold a bigone anymore. This time of year with this warm weather the fish are eating everything getting ready for the spawn.

17. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Steve! I'm sure someone will be able to hook you right up!

18. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    What about cut bait or just whole live fish and what kinda commercial bait would I use. sorry for so many questions

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    welcome to the boc. best bait around here is shad or herring if you can get them. even in the yankin chain the bait of choice is shad. there are others baits too but shad is the number one. most of the folks that catch big fish on a regular base are some of the best cast net people around so its a must to have a cast net. nothing like going out in the morning in the winter and getting fresh bait before daylight and watching the water freeze in the floor of the boat and then going and catching the yankin hogs that are out there. your on the the best channel cat lake around in my book. there are a few blues in there also but not fishable numbers yet. might be released fish but there is a memeber on here that has caught blues from hickory.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Steven you are sitting on a lake that will probably produce the next state record channel catfish.

My two cents worth is this; channel cats love bream and especially bream heads. I have had better luck with that bait than any other. As for commerical baits, don't waste your time. They might work ok for catching some dinks here and there, and you might luck up and catch a monster, but they are not consistent enough for catching quality fish.