New To SERIOUS CAT FISHING...FOUND A HARDLY FISHED 60 ACRE Corry. NEED channel advise

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BillyB9879, Sep 8, 2009.

1. BillyB9879

BillyB9879 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I recently found a pretty large 60+ acre Gravel corry lake that is not fished very much at all. It is private and only very few are aloud to fish it and the others who sneak in, for the most part don't know what they are doing, especially for cats. It is a confusing(new) kind of water for me to fish...it is 70+ feet deep, for about a third of it...it drops off fast... ten feet off shore alot of the places...the water is crystal clear, spring fed. It does have a back corner (two acres) that only ranges to about 20 feet...There isn't too much structure as in trees(a few) in this lake, it's a old gravel corry..ANYWAY...I would be so very graitful for any advise on fishing some of these old ass pig channel cats out of there....What should i use for bait? I caught a 12 pounder on a six inch bluegill, on a trot line...but I need experienced advice on these fish...I am excited and ready to stick em'....I only had worms last night and caught a largemouth at 2am, ended up cutting him and using it on one of my hooks below a battery operated light up bobber set to about 7 feet with a crappie rig below( cut fish on the bottom hook) and lost something large....Anyways if anyone can give me any helpful advise i'd appreciate it.... I would love to share the spot as well if anyone is interested to hang out and share some knowledge and some beer or soda....i live in ohio in the akron/canton area....CATFISH1 is GREAT...so glad i found you guys. By the way, i am not new to fishing...only to serious cat fishing...have fished bass, perch, walleye, panfish, my whole life...THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. BillyB9879

BillyB9879 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was just hoping that someone could set me off in the right direction with a couple suggestions. Thanx

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    First get yourself 1 or 2 small metal bluegill/minnow traps. (Not the black plastic coated ones at wally world)The metal ones will out-trap them 10-1:wink: put a Busted(a small slit or two)pak of peanut butter crackers and some Styrofoam cup chips in and pitch out near the best bank cover or structure you can find.(maybe the night before you get there):wink:

Slip float; guaranteed to be 100% effective. This technique has prov-en itself over & over time and time again in the past 30yrs with tons of channels caught. and I know it will work for you too.

Crystal clear water = 1-2" live gills on a silver #2-3 octopus fished close to the rock walls, maybe small strips of the fillet,1x1/2" as well.

Watch for channels early morning and late afternoon to flip on the surface for air, keep a eye on the area and count after the flip until you see some bubbles being released by the cat, start at 1 1/2' per second rate, say 5 seconds = 7 1/2' deep. cast on them quick and see what happens, bounce the float a couple times, if nothing happens move up or down 1' and you should be on them. keep adjusting as you go.

Once you locate the school keep a baited hook in that area at all times, as fast as you can, because they will be in a feeding mode once they start and if the food source is not there they will move on.

If the bite does slow up leave one rig at that depth and another 6" up/down, and move 3' in either direction of the first strike zone, and follow them until the strikes stops, then start mixing in another bait(salmon strips are good) soft craws, craw tails, fresh water shrimp(prawns) all cut into 3/4" pieces even crickets do well in these lakes. They will start hitting again once you find them and stay on them until your basket is full.:big_smile:

Good luck and may your lines be tight and your basket be full!.:big_smile:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    fish around any big boulders in the water,if theres an undercut in the corry wall fish around that.Fish whatever structure there is,other then that fish deep as you can.

5. BillyB9879

BillyB9879 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thankyou for your info....I really appreciate it...I may go out to the lake tonight. i'll keep you posted on my success

6. BillyB9879

BillyB9879 New Member

State:
    ohio
    :big_smile:I never realized theat channel cats rise up the the surface for air sometimes. Also I didn't know they swim in schools...EXCELLENT INFO!!!!!!!!

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    GREAT ADVISE FLAME, THIS SIGHT IS FULL OF HELPFUL PEOPLE LIKE HIM..ANY MORE QUESTIONS ELT THEM FLOW BROTHER

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Billy.

9. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    If your trying for extra big channels then make sure your bait is large as well. A 6 or 7inch sucker or chub live will do that. Or pieces of cut bait around 4 inches long or more.
    Good job on finding a nice secret spot

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Billy from Fresno California:wink: Let us know how you do:big_smile:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have to ask, How many channels have you caught useing the bait you describe? where at, and the weight of these fish? Just wondering because thats some big bait bro! for a large(20lb) channel even.

12. BillyB9879

BillyB9879 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I caught both of those fish i am holding in my pic on a trot line i set one night...i loaded my line with 24 bluegill ranging from 3 to 6 inches(i hooked them in their mouth thru the top of their head)...when i pulled the line back in the next afternoon i had 4 gills left on the trot...i was missing the last five hooks(GONE...PULLED OFF) and i had that 3 pound channel, that 12 pound channel(if that is even what it is?), and a small 1 pound bullhead or mud cat....
    i went two nights ago for an hour or so and only had night crawlers fished a bobber about six feet deep in a shallow sloping cove caught a 1 pound largemouth at around 2am and ended up cutting it and put a 1"x2" piece of its fillet and some guts on. Within 5 minutes i had something very large slam it and ran...only having little crappie rig hooks on at the time, lost it within seconds.
    OH...the trot line i set was set off an island in the middle of the corry, the water had a slow slope to about 20 feet...some vegetation in the water.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  13. BillyB9879

BillyB9879 New Member

State:
    ohio
    sorry...i replied instead of quoted so its on my post...i'm new to this site still working out the bugs.....i do appreciate your time and help though!!!!!

14. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but I had to reply. I use the same baits as Joe. If you don't use big baits the sub-legal walleyes will drive you nuts pecking at your bait. The channels I catch average around 24-26 inches and 5-6 pounds. Joe catches much bigger ones.

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good luck an hope you tear them up!

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Its deff a channel it could be a hybrid channel if that pit was stocked with them but you will find that out when you eat it and it dosent taste as good as the rest. I mean a lot worse bigger channels 10lbs and up dont taste near as good as the 3pounders and hybrids taste even worse

17. BillyB9879

BillyB9879 New Member

State:
    ohio
    the pic is about 3 or four weeks old and some friends ate it...they said it was good still...they soaked it in salt water over night first.

18. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    ok yeah it was a channel

19. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    your first prob is saying you used bass as a bate. Thats a no no its a game fish. Sounds to me your doing fine. Ask 20 guys the same question and you will get 20 different answers. Don't know too much about float fishing for cats. But try a slip rig with egg sinker then tie to a leader and use a 4/0 circle hook with a blue gill head. Hook it through the nostrils or up through the bottom jaw out the top jaw or through the eyes. if its around 3" try goin through the lips and let him swim around a little.

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A pond that size 70 ' deep will probably have a thermocline in it somewhere, probably best to stay above that. Below that its usually a dead zone. Seems to me catfish in a lake are in shallows at night and when the sun comes up they head for deeper water. Just the way it seems to me. Have fun fishin there, and welcome aboard.