New to river fishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by goingfishin, Sep 19, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on river fishing. I have been fishing lakes and creeks my whole life but now I'm wanting to tackle the big boys. (flathead and blues) This time of year what do I look for when selecting a spot. Do I want to fish swift current or find a break. Thanks to anyone that responds. CJ

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The secret to fishing creeks, ponds. lakes and rivers is all the same. STRUCTURE. You have got to have it. It may be that you know what your doing and can easily find this structure, or you may stumble on it from pure, blind luck. But once you've found it, your in pay dirt. The next problem is bait. Fish are creatures of opportunity. None of them will pass up a juicy crawfish for a 3" bluegill. So, you gotta get your bait into (or near) the structure and be able to winch them out when they take the bait. Your better off using a natural bait such as shad or sunfish... they all mean the dinner bell is ringing to a cat. They are attracted to scent, but I really believe your better off fishing with natural bait - unless your fishing for the table. Then use anything at your disposal.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the B.O.C. I would imagine quite a few of the members will be joining in this thread and sharing their thoughts with you. This place is sort of like the college of catfishing. LOL

3. mbodner

mbodner New Member

State:
    kansas
    this time of year in rivers im still fishing the flats at night and deep holes during the day. in winter i fish ledges whith deep holes close by.good luck..

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Welcome Clifton and Matt. I hope this thread gets a lot of action. Like Clifton I am new to river cattin'. I'm still trying to figure out how I lived all of my 55 years within 2 miles of the Kaw, and never really fished it.

5. mbodner

mbodner New Member

State:
    kansas
    you should give catdaddy shummway a call he will take you out.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    bigger rods bigger reels bigger weights bigger baits. i think thats a good start

7. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks for all the help guys. CJ

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Don't feel to bad Mark, I live a block and a half from a Kaw river boat ramp and have only put my boat on it once this year:sad2:

CJ, all my river fishing is assocaited with "holes"..................for flathead I like bottom structure on the bottom of the hole (day fishing) and like to fish the nearest wood outsided the hole at night. I also like to fish pinch points at night.........say a spot where a big sand bar really narrrows the river down, outside egde of that with timber is hot.

Blues............I fish the biggest deepest holes I can get to but down this way we need big water to get them over 435. Very hit and miss on larger fish.

9. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think this was a fine way to say it...Catfish College...I love it...:big_smile:

10. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great reply...love the tips as well...Thanks

11. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thats good advise.

12. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks for the help Charlie, I can use all the help I can get... lol

13. kctinner

kctinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have fished on the Kaw and the Missouri for a few years now, and i wouldnt go back to lake fishing for the world,even though i have fished there a couple of years this year will be the first year it will be my own boat,and im a little nervous my buddies boat is a22ft seaark,mineis a16ft monark he is a very experienced river fisherman and Ive tried to learn as much as possible,but everybit helps so thank you for catfish college.

14. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Only thing to be nervous about is the barges, my 16 ft monark does well on the mo, and, it goes on the Kaw where a larger boat won't. I love my little boat, I've removed a seat and built a floor, (its not the size of the boat). Just be aware... good luck.

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    All the replies apply, structure, holes, current breaks. Just like creek fishing, only bigger.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    were a creek dumps into a river is a hot spot esp in higher water. if your on the bank or dont have a depth finder look for swirls or whirl pools in the water this will tell you their is a change in the bottom, a hump, hole,stump ect. a place were their is less current than everywere else. pay attion to the banks around you a flat bank the bottom under water is probally the same, steep bank the bottom probally drops out quick making for deeper water. er.. um.. they generaly say the blues are cruisers sticking to the bottom or middle 2/3s of a river and flats and channels will hang out on the outer 2/3s this is a general statement witch has held true from the most part. however fish swim in the water you throw something in the water they want they will get it, so that last statement only helps me decide what bait to put were. i generally will put my biggest cut bait in the main channel of the river for the big cruisers. my biggest live baits will go in the mid current breaks stumps, humps,jams, holes. then whatevers left will go in the edge of slack water live or in chunks usually catching dinner with the occ flattie.

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Shallow rockpiles at the base of a low water dam...Kansas is full of them...are my go-to tactic for flathead here in SEK.

We routinely pull 20-40 lb flatties and blues out of the rockpiles using 2-5" black perch carolina rigged on a Gamakatsu 7/0-8/0 octopus circle hook, and a 2 oz or so no roll design sinker. (weight depends on current velocity)

We also lose alot of terminal tackle in the ever present rip rap and boulders...but it's a successful endeavor.

It's much more convenient to fish from a boat or wade fish (You can put your bait exactly where you want to, tend to get hung up less, and it's more likely that you'll actually land a good sized fish in the current)...but bank fishing there is doable if you know where to go...and show up with the proper equipment. (A med. hvy. or hvy. action rod reel combo with a minimum of 30 lb test line or better)