New To River Fishing for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KYCATFISHHUNTER, Feb 10, 2006.

1. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Hi Fellas ,
    Im Fairly New To Fishing The River. I Can Fish The Ohio From Meldahl Dam Through Cincinnati And The Licking River. I Can Only Fish From The Bank. I Need Help On Learning How To Locate Good Areas To Fish For Flatties. All The Info Will Help. Thank You All

2. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    Howdy , Im Bill I fish your areas mostly around Tanners or Big Miami, on the main river look for lots of structure or outside bends on the river , sunken barges, theres a place in Saylor Park that has a sunken barge and lots of structure there thats a good spot , also try the Ky side of the Anderson Ferry , maybe we can get together some time and fish

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    KYCAT

Structure, stucture & structuce is what all your looking for.

Being stuck to the bank has alot of good points Kycat. Yes having a boat opens up alot more spots to fishin but if in a boat I would suggest ALWAYS having a partner then too. That could slow one down when it comes time to fish and then when they gotta go so do you. In a boat and it starts to rain if could send you to the dock.

As you can guess I'm a bankfisher for the Tabbys too and its by choice too ;) ! I have a Pavillion type if there callin fer rain I put up and build a nice fire if chilly. I nap alot in a lawn chair with bells on the rods.

As stated in the post above those spots are what you are looking for. Them along with "Old Lock and Dams" where they left BIG TIME stucture. Wing dams & for when the water is high, slack water areas for when the Flats are forced into these areas. From what little I've seen up on the Ohio River in NE Ohio if there ain't no snags there are less Flatties there. You can hook up a sinker with no hook and search the waters with it looking for stucture Kycat.
    The bottom of islands have paid off big time for a few of the guys here too.

Take Live & Cut and see what they want.

"Good Hunting"

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If you want to catch flatheads look for the biggest ugliest snag you can find. Take a big lively bait and cast right on the edge of that snag.

5. flatheadking532

flatheadking532 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The best bait I have found is a live sunfish bout 6 or 8 ft from the bank around a big snag or a drift on the outside current of a river. I use bank poles mainly using a willow bout 12ft. long. Last year I found 2 fallen trees bout 5ft apart inthe river. during the weekend I put 2 poles out ! between the 2 trees and one on the lower side. In 2 days I caught around 100 to 125lbs. of flathead. I will be back there this spring when they get ready to go on the nest which is around the 1st. of june.

6. flatheadking532

flatheadking532 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am new on a computer but not on catching flats. Sunfish around a snag 6 or 8ft from the bank. Some say the inside of the river is best but I have caught most of mine on the outside. Seems to me the best time is from sunset till bout midnight. I like to fish when the river is normal or low.when it is real humid. In june and july when they are goingon the nest I catch enough to feed me and my dad for the following year. Last year I caught 532lbs. I dont keep any thing but flats. I put a 60lb flat back in the river last year so I know there is one big one out there. Good luck.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i think Baitkiller hit the nail on the head. Structure is a huge part of finding flatheads. It doesnt matter if its cement slabs or fallen trees. Find an area with one or both with some depth chances are you will catch a flathead.

8. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it is harder fishing from the bank. The river I fish is a small river which you cant get boats into so we have to fish from the bank. Larger rivers is hard to find them. I have no experience fishing a river the size of the Ohio, but a flathead is a flathead hes gonna want structure such as Wing dams and rock rip-rap. I heard side channels are a good bet its like a small river which will make it easier, just look for big log jams in deep water. On outside river bends in the main river sometimes has logjams though sometimes they will be underwater. The more places you fish and catch nothing will elliminate spots to you find that good spot. Dont give up on a spot until you fish it through the different periods(ex.Pre-spawn and summer). The dam tialwaters can be a good bet during Pre-spawn and there will probably be some there all year long. You're gonna have to get out and scout. Some of the spots I fish is 45min. of walking. I hope this helps you out.

FlatGetter

9. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    Great info Guy's I learned a lot and I didn't even ask LOL. I am new myself to fishing for Flats, I have caught 2 @35lbs each this week on throw lines in irrigation canals. What ever it takes, one of them is in my Avatar

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I to had rather fish the outside bend rather than the outside bend. Finding structure is the key. The flatheads will stay pretty close to there homesites whether daytime or nighttime. Mainly they find a good home close to good bait source. The outside bend holds both.
    Flatheadking are you fishing a big river or a smaller river. A 60lber is a nice flathead.

11. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Im with flatnightmare look for those outside bends with alot of brush and current break on them because the main channel of the river runs along the outside bend of the river. Also try using bigger live bait 5-7 inches.

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would start out looking for areas of slack water were the current is broken up, any structure in those areas are good. Places that I have had success in rivers are the back side (down current side) of islands, creek mouths, and outside bends in the river. Some of the best flathead fishing in rivers is where there has been an old dam or bridges that have been torn down or blown up. All that concrete structure on the bottom is a sanctuary for flatheads.

13. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I HAVE TO AGREE 100% WITH BAITKILLER