New to Pike Fishing

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by JMarrs328, May 14, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've never caught a pike before, nor have a really fished for them. I fish in the Susquehanna river which is said to have a good population of both pike and muskie. What kind of areas should i look for to catch pike? Is a large in-line spinner the best option? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    any spots that you would fish for smallmouth will work. weed beds, docks, drop offs and sunken trees all hold the fish. inlines work best when the water warms up. do you get PA outdoor news? if you dont pick up a copy of this weeks magazine. has a good article on muski fishing the Susquehanna.

best advice is keep at it. they dont call muski the fish of 1000 casts for nothing. and its even harder to patteren the fish because not many people fish for them and even less fish are caught. more of a i hope this lure works. ask a few bait shops for the best lures for that area. hope it helps

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What lb. test line should I use for pike/musky?

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Boy if i knew how to catch em i like catfish i would be in. I use one of my cat rigs as a muskie rig also 6 foot six st croix medium heavy fast action rod 17-40 lb test 3/4 -3 oz weight with 30 poundfireline with abu 6600c3.If you are going to be throwing big lures need a rod that can handle it. The set up I use works well for both types of fishing.

5. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea thats a good rod and reel combo. i 2nd the #line also.

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Rumor has it that pike have been found in Stoney Gorge reseviour here in N. Cali. I'm hoping to get out and see if I can catch any this year. The idea of catching a 3 or 4 foot fish with that kind of attitude gets me all fired up to get the boat out! :big_smile:

It's a shame that they are so bad for the indiginous bass in small lakes like this though. :crazy:

7. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Best advise I can give you with both pike and musky is this. Invest in some 18"-24" steel liters. It doesnt matter how heavy of line your using, the rows of teeth in their mouth is just awesome, and will cut almost anything.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Also, it's best to use a single strand leader than the multi strand. The teeth can actually get between the braid and weaken the leader. I like using heavy mono leaders for smaller live baits, as pike will sometimes be discouraged by the highly visible steel leaders. Muskie are really picky in this instance, and a mono leader is almost a necessity.

9. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    for pikes here in wisconsin.. we're using 8-12 pound test.. and we're using bluegills as bait(live bluegills).. hook it on the top of the live bluegill and use a big hook.. have a sinker and about 2-3 feet from the floater to the hook..

10. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cast, troll, buy a Williams Wabler, is the best overall pike lure I ever used, shallow weed beds for eating size fish and drop off, deep weeds for bigger fish

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    big pike 3-15 feet of water.

Use a mepps musky killer on down to a mepps #4. theyre great lures. I use 17lb test and a 30# 6" wire leader. Always have tayed pretty close to that test and leader and rarely have breakoffs.
    Also big creek chubs, suicks, and super shad raps.
    Also daredeviles from the half ounce to 3 ounce work wonders.

Musky like deeper and rockier stuff- 3 feet to 25 feet of water.

The hotter the water the flashier and faster you want to go. If you have to add weight to the lure cause the speed lifts it, then so be it. Speed in the hot water is key.

I have used live bait but I do very well with a simple trio- rapala 9 inch blueback, mepps #5, and a super shad rap in perch color. Those 3 have landed more 30+ inchers than any other lures.

I also target crappie areas- when the crappie turn off, start casting for pike. Generally they will shut down crappie fishing COLD. Thast when I know theyre around. Use a 1 oz johnson Silver weedless minnow with a paddle tail on it chopped off so its just the paddle.

I like quick drops near weeds, and in spring the shallows cannot be beat.

Deep water in the summer.

good luck