New to Ohio River Fishing!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tedsrooster, Jun 22, 2009.

1. tedsrooster

tedsrooster New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Hey guys. From what I can tell this one heck of a forum for some fishing guys. Im a brand new member to the forum, BUT already feel at home. Listen, Im looking to hit the river near the Cinci area. This is a brand new arena to me and not familiar with the river or where to fish at. I have several maps of the river but no clue as to where the fish might be. Can anyone with some experience throw a few ideas my way? Im just looking for a few areas to throw some goldies, shad, bluegill, etc.. out and I'll learn from there. Im an avid cat seeker with a few years of experience at lakes, but looking to explore the river. Someone help guide me please? Any help is very appreciative. If anyone has room for two on a boat, I would gladly bring the food and some beer!

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ted Welcome to the site...... You really need to do your homework, go back and scour post about river fishing and what to look for. As in structure, eddys, tail races, barge tie offs and so forth. We like ya here but I doubt anyone will give up a good spot. Good luck to you.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC...There are tons of places to bank fish along the Ohio near Cincinnati. Like the previous poster said, finding a map or google earth will really help you alot. Good spots from the bank will dictate as the river changes. For example, if you have fast water due to rising river levels, you may be better off trying to pinpoint structure or current breaks. Things like log jams, barges and barge tie offs. Barge tie offs are usually close to the bank. Structure is always important though even if the water is not fast. Flatheads can usually be taken easily from the bank especially at night when they move up into the shallows to feed. Its just gonna take time and effort man, there may be some places you need permission just like anywhere else. Around the public landing there is a ton of bank space that is public, not bad water around there either. Good luck bro...:wink:

4. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Travis pretty much covered it, but i wanted to say welcome to the BOC. Cincinnati has plenty of good areas, of course you could try the Meldhal Dam tailwaters. I hear there is decent bank fishing from the Kentucky side. A bit of a drive from you in Cincy but not too far and can really produce some big fish. Also, I have heard that the bank around covington newport area is a good spot for bank fishing. Hope this helps and good luck

5. tedsrooster

tedsrooster New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I really appreciate all the tips. That's basically what I was looking for. I will be in a boat and will have access to all parts of river. I was just looking for an area to really hit. I understand, based on what is already posted, that most of this will change based on the river conditions. That, I suppose, is probably the biggest difference between lake fishing and river fishing!

Thanks guys!

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey, welcome to the boc!! i think travis nailed it! good luck to ya, shane

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Oh my bad man, I though you ment from the bank....lol....You got a boat, now just put in the time....Good luck to ya bro, nothing like fishing the big river..:wink:

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep with a boat you can fish alot more areas not accessible from the bank and if they are not hitting here then try somewhere else. I usually hit all the barge tie offs when I am on the big river.

9. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    all the info a newbie needs is here. search around and every question you could imagine has been addressed. it is hard to get a good fishin hole from someone but some local maps of the river should point you in the right direction. find the slack water in your closest dam and work from there. welcome to the brotherhood!