new to muzzle loading

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by adam1886, Dec 18, 2009.

1. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    well as the title says im new to muzzle loading. a couple weeks ago i bought my first muzzle loader. thompson center omega .50 cal with a simmons scope. i couldnt pass it up for $150. wish i would have offered $100 now:smile2:. anyways i plan on taking it elk hunting next fall if i can draw a tag and would like to know if anyone else has this gun and what are some good load combinations. i plan on shooting it a bunch this summer to find what i like the best, but it would be nice if i could get it narrowed down a little first so i dont waste my money on tons of different kinds of bullets. right now im shooting 2 pyrodex pellets with 250 grain sabots. when i go for elk i'll bump it up to 3 pyrodex pellets. any tips will be greatly appreciated. also for anyone who might have the omega, what is the effective range for these guns? tomorrow is opening day of muzzle loader season here in MO so hopefully ill get lucky!

2. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If its accurate Id say bout 200 yards on a deer

3. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My gun likes the Barnes Expander MZ sabots or Knight Red Hots which are the same thing. When I hunt areas with long shots I load 150 grains of Triple Seven and the 220 grain Barnes which is spitzer shaped. Farthest shot on a deer so far has been about 165 yards. Closer shots I like the 250 Barnes. That big hollow point is devasting on deer. Obviously you will have to see whats legal to use wherever you plan to elk hunt at.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try 245 to 294 grain 50 cal aro tip powerbelts not near the plastic residue fouling. I shoot a 2 5o cal 50 grain pyrodex pellets with the aro tip 245 grain power belts and get performance on par with the old 30-30 rounds. A friend uses 294 grain platnum aro tips and get great range out of his 50 cal with a 3 pellets 150 grain load good out to 200 yards. Some good easy loads to start with that should fly good out your gun for deer or elk

5. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    thanks for the tips

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i use 240gr xtp bullets and 100gr of 777 in my encore what ever you do DO NOT USE OVER 120GR OF LOOSE POWDER .the pellets are not a full 50 gr 3 pellets equal 120 gr in weight

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've never shot the pellets before, just loose pyrodex. Always been happy with that part of it. As far as bullets go i've shot a bunch over the years and prefer the power belt bullets over anything i've shot. Good luck and you'll enjoy this new hobby. I love lookin thru the smoke tryin to see if my shot was good or not.:eek:oooh: