New to missouri rivers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jim700, Jul 11, 2009.

1. jim700

jim700 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alright boys the biggest river i have been in is the Osage river below bagnel dam, i am looking for a change of scenery and i have been investigating different lakes and rivers. First of all i live in St.James Missouri so any rivers that are decent in size are more than an hour away. The current places i am looking to go to is the Missouri, Warsaw, Table Rock. Truman Dam, basically anywhere within 2 1/2 or 3 hours of drivin. If i could get some advice on where to go to hook into some decent sized cats i really would be much obliged. The biggest fish i have ever caught was 16 lb channel so i would really like to up that size a bit. Thanks for reading this and whoever posts i appreciate the help.

Jim

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    first off, welcome to the boc. there are some great fish out there and not all of them are in big rivers. the places you listed are all great ones for good size cats. its really gonna boil down to your bait and how your fishing it. if youve looked in the lake and res. section youll see all the great work people like catfishscotty and catfish earl are doing along with many others. it will be trial and error at first but soon you will be on a hog.

3. jim700

jim700 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I should have listed my bait, i have been fishing for the past 16 years, i use two large open face rods and one small bait caster, on my open face rods i use a double hook setup both baited with normally fresh cut bait, my two smaller rods i bait with chicken livers or night crawlers. I am really interested in bigger catfish after last week. I was below bagnel when i hooked into the biggest fish i have ever had in my life with fresh cut shad, it got away and ever since i have been dying to drag in some trophy worthy cats. I will look around on the site some more there seem to be some very knowledgeable people on here, hopefully i can get some more tips and become a better fisher than i currently am.

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i would ditch the livers, stock up on skipjack, carp, and shad for cut bait. livers will ocasionally produce a good sized channel, but a good sized channel is like 10 + pounds, which is small by most peoples standards. if you want some flathead cats get into live bait, like perch, goldfish, and shad. fish them around log jams and cut banks in slower current areas. for blues, look for current. toss baits into the eddies and scour holes off of wing dikes, or drift them in front of dams.