New to Metal Detecting

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Boomer, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My wife got me a metal detector, for Christmas last year, have been wanting one for years, it is not the top of the line, but it does ok, I have found old money, and a few things, but would like some pointers.

I just bought a new house out in the country, and in the field next to it, there is an old house, that has probably been there since the 1890's or so and would like some pointers on where and how to search it.

2. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    look around where the closeline was if you can tell, where close were changed. where they parked and around the steps.under the floor or the edge of the house. thanks hope it helps Sam Davis

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Jenny (smijen) and I have been wanting to get one ourselves. we have gone with a friend and had alot of fun.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some places to look might be any place that a mail box was present. An out door bench. Milking stalls. See if you can get some history of the place. Did they hold any kinds of advents on the property and where. (Singings Squaredances, ballgames, etc. Old well curbs, Horse hitch racks. This should give you a start.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont know to much about the old house, it is very overgrown around it. So I cant really tell where everything was, but plan on going over it really good, will have to do it in the fall, when I can get thru all the brush around it. Hopefully I can tell a lot more about it then. The area has history, during the Indian resettlement. I figure the old house was built in the 1890's to 1900's. I also want to take my metal detector over to my daughter in laws place, their house was built in 1894. She was digging a fish pond and they found some old medicine jars, might be worth a shot running it around over there also.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Believe it or not, the out house was one of the best places to hide valuables.

Search around the largest shade trees, outside the fireplace, and the corners of the house. They were used as reference points.

7. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Old country folks would sometimes have a loose fence post they could pull out with a can underneath it to hide cash.

8. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good places to detect. all the previous posts are good advise, so I will just add a couple more. The number one, and all time best best place to hunt, is any where the ground has been moved around, what I mean by that is if they tear out a house, are doing any grading for building something new that is a good place to look. Any time that the ground is moved you are looking at a new place to hunt that has not been hunted before, and most of the time you wont have to contend with the pull tabs and newer junk, and you never know what set on that site in the old days. I have found coins below where they made a two foot cut and removed the dirt. and a good place to find rings is around the edges of a tennis court, in the grass. with all movement people sometimes loose their ring and never know when it happens, are whear it went. the main thing in detecting is Patience, If you have the patience you will do good.
    hope this will help you.

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Found a cool little project to get the nephews out of the house and out of their mothers hair for a while. We are going to make metal detectors and search their back yard and park. I bought the items required at the dollar store, and they can modify them any way they want to m look cooler. For $6 we are going to make three. Using the method in this link with amradios and calculators. Don't know ho good they will work, but, wordt case scenario they each get a radio and a calculator.....LOL

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...733&ei=&q=making+a+metal+detector&vt=lf&hl=en

Richard

10. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    thats cool let us know how they work if they work ok i might do this with my nephews thanks for the link

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Any very large trees near the house? They would sit in the shade under that tree on hot summer days. Same for any large tree in the farmed area.
    The lady of the house would bring lunch out to the farm hands and they would rest under that tree and eat dinner.
    good luck 2ya
    just

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

Worked pretty darn good for a two dollar contraption, All together we found a horse shoe, about 100 nails, and 6 wheatback pennies.

Richard

13. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    My advice just starting out is to dig every signal. After you get used to your machine you will be able to tell different targets by the sound a little better. Be patient. Good hunting!

14. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    richard does the radio have to be AM only or can it be AM,FM ? im gonna hit up the dollar store this week to get the stuff an take the kids out this weekend my house was built in 1850 maybe we can find some old stuff around the yard :wink:

15. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    They can be am/fm, but use the am frequency highest on the dial without a channel directky on it. It really is alot of fun. Let me know how you guys do!!!!!

Richard

16. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    If you strike it rich, take lots of pics................