New (to me) toon

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catsmith1, May 30, 2006.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I am looking at a 95 party barge with a 70 Johnson. It has the oil injector pump mounted with the gas tank. I have never delt with these.

I am looking for advise about the motor and personal opinions are welcome.

It runs fine now.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Robert those 70 h/p of 89 thru 97 had some serious heating problems. They had some mods that were sent out to fix them. I would check to see if the modifications have been done and do a trial run in the water and a compression check before I would even consider this engine.

Those cylinders should be 100 psi or better. More in this case is better. If it had as much as 10lbs different on any of the cylinders I would pass it by.

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Thanks for the info!

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I went to the mech at the shop close to here. He explained the the over heating problem was due to the fuel/oil pump set up that mixes the oil and fuel straight from the tank could not get it rich enough at extremly high rpm. He said that on the big bass boat that could get the plane going to get 6000rpm and above it was recommended to put a little oil in the tank to add to the mix at the pump. He said that on a toon you would not be able to the the same rpm as on a bass boat.

Thanks for bringing that up bubbacat. I learned something by doing the research!

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is quit alright. He didn't tell you all of it though. I have all the builltins that came out for the mods. You had to change the tell tell to the top of the motor and change the temp sensor out and exchange the water pump to a different kind and there was a place to drill a hole in the water jacket to let the water circulate better.
    The biggest problem was that the water picked up and run thru the motor was getting air bubbles in it and not letting the engine cool like it was suppose to.

It would over heat the middle cylinder most of the time and some times the bottom one to. I have the service builltins if you are interested so you can have some proof if you need it.
    Like I said do the test and if all is well maybe it will be alright.
    I would ck and make sure the sensor was working and take it for a trial run. its a simple test and easy to do.