new (to me) recurve

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by countrycat15, Aug 28, 2008.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have always shot compound bows but decided to get into traditional archery.so my friend gave me a fred bear super kodiak recurve. on one of the limbs it says canada 1953. it is in good shape.so is this a good bow? i would never sale it but is it worth anything.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    any fred bear recurve i have ever looked at was a great, well made bow. i'd say it's great and made in a time when ol fred was still alive and hunting! not sure of the monetary value, but i'd say get out there and kill something with it!

3. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You will have a blast with the recurve.Just make sure you practice alot before going out and don't expect to kill something your first year.Its a whole nother game when it comes to stick bows.

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My first bow was a recurve, and i still have it
    40# Ben Pearson target master...Recurves are fun to shoot. I do not use sights and i shoot 32" carbon fiber Beemans, they shoot nice and fast for a recurve...Distance is greately improved with a light arrow...

I have taken a lot of small game with it ...Squirels --Dove --fish..
    I made my own FLU FLU type arrows with some big feathers i had ...

You will have sooo much fun with it..

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's worth more than any compound to me. I shoot a bear grizzly and have taken 129 deer with it. The 1953 is the patent date, not when it was made. The Bear symbol will give you an idea of when it was made, small bear, big bear, standing bear, running bear, etc. This may help.

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-To-Date-Your-Fred-Bear-Bow_W0QQugidZ10000000001896218