new to me outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by lonegunman88240, Jan 7, 2006.

1. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    hi all i picked up a 1960 monkey wards seaking 15 hp outboard for 50 bucks,
    model number gg8823a, serial number 06x806768, the guy i bought it from says it has a new water pump impeller and lower unit seals and gaskets and it was last used last year, i brought it home hooked up to my 6gal tank running a 25:1 mixture it started up and ran it, water circulating good everything seems fine, except at full throttle, i dont think its running anywhere near full rpms, would this be the case to go thru the carb and clean up real good? and can anybody tell me what the proper mixture should be

thanks in advance
    patrick

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    find out the correct mixture before you run it again. 25:1 is pretty thick of a mixture. you might have too much oil and that may be causing the problem.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    50:1 is what i use as a mixture. bob paul will chime in for the info you seek brother. nice buy for 50 bucks ill say. 15hp motors are hard to come by for cheap around here.

4. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    "find out the correct mixture before you run it again. 25:1 is pretty thick of a mixture. you might have too much oil and that may be causing the problem."

i ran long enough to see if it run at all, i used a heavy mixture just to be safe until i find the proper mixture...

"nice buy for 50 bucks ill say. 15hp motors are hard to come by for cheap around here."

thanks, i was pretty pround of the deal myself, even though i had to drive a 100 mile round trip to pick it up, you guys know about how quick a 14 foot john boat would be with a good running 15hp pushing it? its a 14x42 deep and wide

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a 14ft jon that size with a 9.9. with just me and a little gear i can get on plane pretty good and go about 20 mph i think. youll fly with a 15.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Patrick, do yourself a real big favor and go though that carb. If the seller never mentioned it being done, than it's probably way overdo for a cleaning.

Also, change the plugs and lower unit oil. Pull the prop off and be sure there's no fishing line around the shaft. That's the culprit that usually causes the seals to fail.

Hopefully you didn't try to reach full rpm on a hose or in a barrel.

Do an online search for a carb kit. After the carbs done, take care of your gas with a stabilizer additive.

Another problem could be that it's running on 1 cyl. Check to be sure they're both firing. A compression check would really tell you the internal health of your engine.

I'd use a rich 50:1 gas mixture, and regular gas.

Good luck in getting it ready for the coming season.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That old engine came out with bronze bushing for bearings and it is required to use a 24:1 fuel mixture.
    Like bobpaul mentioned the carbs need rebuilding or you are loosing a cylinder.

One of the coils may be breaking down when trying to accelerate. You can pull the fly wheel and look at the coils and if they have cracks in them they need to be replaced.

Most of the parts can be bought at Napa.
    I have an on line source if you want the link just PM me and I'll get it to you.
    They specialize in the older engines.
    The first thing I would do is do a compression ck and make sure all cylinders are within 10 lbs of each other.

Go the plug route first before you start throwing parts at it.
    This is just my 2cents worth. :)

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, Are you suggesting he use the 24:1 and 30w oil that was recommended at the time?

I've had good results using today's tcw3 outboard oil in the older engines at a 50:1 mix, but more on the rich side.

Just looking for an educated answer from more experience than I might have.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Naw don't use 30 weight. In todays TC-W3 oils you can mix it to 24:1 and get good results.
    I have found in the older engines with the bronze bushings for rod bearings they were designed for the heaver oil to take up some space between the rod and the bearing.
    The omc started putting some of the needle bearings in some of their engines back in 1959 but as a common practice I run 24:1 in anything made before 1964.
    Bobpaul I ain't no expert here I just going by the older engines I run.
    Shoot I have one that was built in 1947 and it runs on 16:1 so if heavy 50:1 works then by all means go for it.
    I have a 1851 5 h/p Johnson that runs good on a steady diet of 50:1 of pure synthetic oil mix.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, I've found more experts doing things for hobbies than for a living. Only because they make the time to do a thorough job.

I like you posting here ;)

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thank you Bobpaul that means alot to me.

12. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    lol i got confused reading the posts lol, should i run 50:1 or 24:1? i replaced the plugs, checked the compression, top cylinder is 95 and bottom cylinder is 90, i couldnt pull the flywheel to check coils, but pulled the plug wires and both are firing, went thru the carbs, and it was spotless, soaked it and went thru it with 2 large cans of carb cleaner and blew out with compressed air, i never seen a cork float before, started it up and still runs the same, i pulled the bottom plug wire no change, pulled the top plug wire and it died, so i guess the bottom cylinder isnt firing, but when checked again it was sparking, pulled the bottom plug and it was wet, will a automotive puller work to pull the flywheel off this motor?

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It could just be that you need new plugs if your getting fire to it.

Without knowing if there's threaded holes in your flywheel for some bolts from a puller, i'd say use whatever type puller that'll fit it.

Protect the top of the crankshaft with a small metal piece, from the puller bolt. Tighten up on the puller, then shock the puller bolt with a hammer. Mind you, I said shock it, that means a fair lick with a small hammer or a light tap with a 3# sledge.

Go ahead and stay with the 24:1 for now, but if you keep fowling plugs, lighten up on the oil.

Most carbs I've done require the float to sit level when assembled without the bowl in place. Hold the carb body upside down so the float is resting on the needle, and at eye level, look to see the float is sitting abut level to just a hair higher.

If you mess with alot of older outboards, you'll see plenty of cork floats. The coatings can come off and the cork saturate with gas and no longer float. I replace them with plastic or a new float if at all possible.

14. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    i went thru 3 sets of plugs same with each, but decided to play it safe and took it to a shop

15. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    thanks for the help everyone, the shop could not get parts needed for that motor, but sherwood over at discount marine got me what i needed no problem, i had to order 2 coils, 2 points, and 2 condensors, the mechanic rebuilt the carb, and he assured me that motor is still in good shape, just starting to show its age a little bit, needs a couple of transplants, im wondering about ordering a briggs 5 hp outboard as a back up, but affraid it wont push my boat to good

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have a thought on why the bottom is not firing..... I am assuming htat you have 2 carbs. because you caisd you clean and blew out the "carbS". Have you checked the needle valve and seat in the carb. Onw of mine ended up getting stuck and was causing problems for me. Just a thought... I am by no means an expert.
    David Frantz

17. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    I am assuming htat you have 2 carbs. because you caisd you clean and blew out the "carbS".

its a single carb, typing it in plural form is a habit, hell i still refer to myself in third person sometimes lol..

the problem turned out to be ignition, both coils were cracked, one was working decent the other was very very weak, and one of the points were welded shut, but thanks for the suggestion...

I found a similiar deal last year dropping off some scrap metal to the junkyard, I saw an old 5hp outboard in a pile and the guy sold it to me for 15 bucks, I took it home and had it running in about an hour of tinkering ...

i love finding those kind of deals