New-to-me Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfisher, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Boc Boat.jpg I finally have a decent fishing boat. It's a 14 foot jon boat from Academy. It's the 1436LT version. I've heard that the structure is a little thin and not really suitable for higher horsepower motors, but the price was right.

It came all together almost as you see the picture. The boat, motor (8 hp Evinrude) and trailer, two 6 gallon fuel tanks, two oars, two straps, and two anchors, all for $850.00. It's only a couple of years old, and has been on the water three times. I don't know how old the motor is, though. Under the top cover, it looks new, no leaks and all the hoses seem to be in great condition.

I've added to seats from Cabela's on the center and rear benches, otherwise, it's stock. I bought a set of the battery powered LED bow/stern lights so I can fish at night.

With the 36 inch bottom, it's not the epitome of stability, but with cautious attention to the wind/boating conditions, it'll be just fine. John Potter and I took it out for its maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago. It moves faster than I thought it would given the small motor. I've since taken it out at night by myself and decided to wear my life jacket the whole time from put in to take out. I don't mind swimming a little, but at night when help may be some time comming, it's free insurance.

Just thought I'd share my success with you. I'm looking for ideas for the best (not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, either) rod holders for the round side rails now.

Gary

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That'll work!
    Good call on the nav lights, Very, very early this morn. I watched a fellow getting it up the Ohio R. just as hard as his little Jon would go..no lights. The only way I saw him was the engine noise and his silhouette against the sand beach. Granted, there was little traffic that early but this seemed a real good way to get yourself hurt.

4. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    That sure is a great looking boat.All you need is to add a front roller on the trailer then you want need two straps.

:big_smile_2: :0a36:

:cat:

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Gary that's a fine looking outfit! You can get in some spots with your boat that a lot of bigger ones can't. I have a 14ft. with a 9.9 evinrude that I wouldn't trade for love nor money. I have a hard time leaving vapor trails with it but I do get there. Let me also compliment you for thinking of your personal safety especially when you're fishing alone that life jacket/vest is just what it says. You can pull right up into those brush piles and tie on instead of anchoring. I know your gonna love it. When you get rich and famous you can always buy a bigger boat. I traded my 16ft. in on a 19ft. with a 40 horse, but that 14ft. has always got a home.
    Don

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Man that is one sweeet rig. Bet you get hours of enjoyment out of that. Good luck and catch some big 'uns.

7. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gary, Nice, clean looking boat. And it sounds like you got a great deal on it. Seems like those 14 ft jons dont need a big motor to do just fine. Nice job and enjoy it. Stan

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Gary thats a good looking setup. Congrats Youll have many happy hours fishing in that rig and the best thingyou will always be able to recoup your money if you ever decide to upgrade. Good luckand catch a Bigun. Bigcatman0816.

9. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on your new boat. I used to fish out of a 14 footer all the time you will love it just use a little common sense and be carefull. It's not about how great of a boat you have it's the enjoyment you have using it.

10. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congratulations on new boat.thanks for ideas on holders

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on your boat. I had the same one but came across a deal on a SEAARK john that I couldn't pass up. but man did i like my alumacraft. it a great boat and it is more stable than you think.

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ditto on the congrats! Now you can spend the next few days/weeks setting it up just the way you want it, it'll make your fishing alot more comfortable. If you ever have to replace tires, I'd up them to 12" (looks like 8"s in the pic), they'll go around alittle less.

Nice looking boat!
    Smitty

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Gary here is the pics of my boat rollers.two of the pic are on my 16 foot flat bottom john boat the other is on my 14 foot V hull John boatHope they help.

:0a26:

:cat:

14. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ace,Thanks for the pictures. I was looking at a forward support that was basically a carpeted bunk sitting sideways that attached to the trailer like your rollers do. I like the idea of the roller better. Thanks everyone for the kind comments about my boat. Maybe in a couple or three years, I'll be posting a bigger boat. But for now, the next pics will be nothing but fish that fall prey to the mighty jon.Gary