New to me boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ka_c4_boom, Sep 17, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    tonight i had a late 60's model lone star triton v-hull fiberglass 16' 72" boat give to me , question , does fiberglass ever rot ? i mean it is an old boat is it worth putting time into cleaning it up or is it time to scrap it ? i havent sunk any time or money in to it yet , havent even really looked at other than to notice it has deep side walls lots of interior room steering wheel and cables throttle cable and good wind sheild not to mention all the chrome any and all opinions apreciated

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

No, fiberglass doesn't rot. Is the hull still intact totally?

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I would assume that it is, or you'd have said so. I personally would at least clean it up......Triton boats are good boats, according to most folks. (Sorry, sometimes five minutes isn't enough :smile2:). The wood fiberglass is put on can rot though, but I don't think Triton has any wood. Don't know about that year/model.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Yeah, what she said., Sounds worth a good look into cleanin up at any rate,Charles.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chuck, wait a while and MarkJ will find this thread, or shoot him a PM. That man is an expert when it comes to boat construction and how to repair them.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    nope no wood all fiberglass , foam filled under subfloor it has 4 cracks one shaped like a horse shoe and about the same size , the other is half moon shaped about 11 inches long the other two are on either side at the top of the gunwalls about 5 ft long each . i dont think il have much trouble fixing the old girl but it will take some time before she is water worthy .

7. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Sounds like a great project to me. Take before and after photo. Thanks

8. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    not bad. a free boat. might be worth trying to get her going. does it have a motor. thats the most expensive part. sometimes you buy the motor and they throw the boat in free.:smile2:

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Chuck I have a 71 Crestliner Fiberglass. It hasn't rotted and just kind of skined up.Nothing seroius.Sounds like you got a good deal.How about some pictures of it .You'll have fun fixing it up the way you want it . Good Luck and Have Fun...

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    no motor but it can handle my 40 thats on my current boat .

11. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Chuck fill it with water or let it sit in water on the trailer. That is any easy way to know about any big problems. Best of luck.

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Sounds like a good deal to me.winter is coming and now you have something to do.:smile2:

13. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice haul. Might want to get out on the water and beat it around a little first. If you like it, then put the effort into it. If any new problems show themselves after a little beating, it might change your order of restoration.