New To McNairy County

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Just2Tan, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Just2Tan

Just2Tan New Member

State:
    TN
    I moved here from Florida's East Coast and athough I have tried to make the switch from Surf Fishing to Fresh Water Catfishing I just haven't had much luck.....Anyone with some tips on places to fish...baits and rigs? My son is going to college this year and it would be great to meet someone to fish with. Also now that I think about it ...what times are the best times to catch catfish? backhome in Florida the salt water cats feet mostly at night.. In my case I think the Cats up here don't feed at all if I'm around <laff>
    Richard
    rpinion@charter.net

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Richard.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, brother. Dont know too much about your area, but this site is full of good info and great people

4. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Richard to the BOC, I have not been out this year yet but they are out there. Are you fishing from a boat or off the shore? I have not heard of any good fishing reports yet off the Tennessee River. Keep watching the post here some one will let you know.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Welcome to our county. I live South West of Adamsville Tn. The fish will bite here now. But April is when they turn on good.
    I went Thursday and only caught one blue cat. It was about 8 or 10 lbs. I think if I had fresh bait there would have been more bites.
    Pete

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC Richard! And to my original home state of Tennessee!

7. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Richard. I haven't done much good on the Tenn river in the winter but all the rain last month and the warm temperatures got me back on the river Sunday. Went by myself expecting to catch nothing. Caught 11 fish all blues. 25, 23, 20, 18, 15, 13, 12, 10, 7, 5, and 2lbs. I fished with some fairly fresh bait that was frozen a couple weeks ago. Just looking at the rods all the bites looked to be 1-2lb fish. I threw out and kept out some big baits but the small baits were the way to go. Good luck to you and maybe we'll meet on the river. I keep looking for Shilohred but haven't seen him now that I know what boat to look for. What Pete said about the fishing has certainly been true for me. If any of you see me out be sure and say hi.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like you had a good trip, I caught that one fish off a fresh piece of bait I dipped as it drifted by the boat. And caught one fish.:smile2: Now the old skipjack from last year. They did not like.
    Depends now I do Thuraday after I get out of the hospital. If i'm able you can get I will be out fishing agian as soon as I can. I think we should be able to get some nice fish in the next 4 weeks or so. With good bait. I have about 50 pints of shadguts in the freezer and will be fishing with them next trip out.

It should be hard to miss our boat. LOL
    Pete

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pete it was a good trip for me and the guts were definatley the way to go. I didn't have any shadguts but wish I had of. I kept some of the smaller fish for a great aunt and the stuff the blues were feeding on sure did stink. I guess they are feeding on the dead shad still washing down the river. I think this may be my best year ever on the river and can only hope. Good fishing.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Last Year was a good one also. I caught lots of fish even in August and Sept.
    :smile2:
    Pete

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I need to get into a bunch of 1 to 1 1/2 lb fish. Where I can smoke up about 50 of them:smile2: Man there good, I may have to head to the lake and see if I can get into them.
    Its about time for that size to move in and start eating up the worms.
    That or find them in the river. They should be easy to catch. I stop and buy 2 dozen large minnow. Cut them up that is the ticket this time of year for the eating size. Use small hooks and small baits.
    Pete

12. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Pete I've got a bunch froze less than 2 mos.You're welcome to as many or all of them you want if you can't go get any.I would probably even bring them to a poor old sick fellar.:wink: Sonny

13. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard, I would take you fishing next time I am down, but you already know what i know and that is how not to catch them. On a serious note when i get a chance to get down there, maybe we can hook up and fish or have a cup of coffee.

14. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Buck you fish the Cumberland? I have a brother that lives in M'boro and have always wanted to try it out.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Sonny.
    I think I can go to the lake and catch 50 or so one day next week. They should be easy to catch. That is as long as there running current.
    Pete

16. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to the BOC, i live in mcnairy county to and im gonna try to go fishing tomorrow. ill let you know if i do any good and what i used for bait.

17. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Pete my post may be a little confusing but I was talking about skipjack.