New to Lake Wateree

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Frostman, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I've fished Lake Wylie all my life and can catch a few there most of the time. I've moved and am closer to Wateree now. I would love to learn Wateree and would greatly appreciated any advice on where to fish and how.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Wateree is loaded with catfish. Theres an article on lake Wateree catfish in the SC sportsman magazine its the july issue its on page 98.Theres also an article on Lake Wylie too.I uasually drift with white perch or shad and catch numbers.Anchor down near channels ledges and weight on the big ones.River rat is more familar with Wateree he could help you out alot more.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Live and cut bait in the upper reaches of the lake work good year-round usually. Find deeper pockets and work your way through them day or night. I don't fish below the state park because my 15hp takes to long to go very far.

4. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Thanks for the suggestions RiverratSC and Chrisblue. I'm planning to join the crowds on the Lake this Sat morning. I'll let you know how we did.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good luck, Frostman. Hope you can give us a good report later.:smile2:

6. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    We got on the lake about 7 and fished till 2:30. Fairly light boat traffic in the morning. It picked up starting about 10 am but never got really bad.

We couldn't catch any bait so we used cut bream, crappie, and white perch. We trolled mostly in the upper section of the lake up toward Cedar Creek dam. The bite was fairly slow but we managed to boat and release 7 chanels weighing 2-3 lbs and 3 blues. The biggest weighed 8 1/2 lbs. It was pretty hot but I added a side panel to the bimini top and hooked up one of those small 12 volt fans. That made a huge difference.

I hope everyone has success fishing this weekend and holiday; if not fishing have a happy and safe holiday.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The fish in my avatar came out of Wateree, so there are some nice fosh in there. As a matter of fact, if the guy who wrote the article in the SC Sportsman was Rodger Taylor, then I was fishing with him. He is a guide out of Rock Hill and knows the water well. I shoot some of the shots for his website, www.catfishon.com

Water flow seems to be important, and changes in the underwater structure seem to make a difference between a good bite and a great bite. We have caught nice blues on all the baits you are fishing with, and the usually shad. Some days are better than others, and there is no rhyme or reason, except that when the water is flowing the bite is always better.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

there are big fish in there its just finding them. try drifting through the deeper holes close to points and flats. also when the waters running it seems like the bite is better.

9. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I think water flow was a big factor. There was none all day. I think another explanation for the on-off bite condition at Wateree might be due to the amount of forage. When I still worked for the DNR I learned from my fisheries friends that Lake Wateree and Lake Greenwood are the most productive lakes in the state as far as pounds of fish per acre - even exceeding Santee. Most of it is shad. With that much food available, fish aren't hungry all the time and only feed when it's easy for them (like flows that move food to them).