New to Lake Wateree catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by SCcatman, Jun 22, 2009.

1. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I joined the BOC awhile back and love it! I read more then I comment/post but I have some questions pertaining to Lake Wateree here in SC. I grew up in Lancaster County and have always fished my local lakes and such. I have always been a bass fisherman but my father-in-law bought a place on Lake Wateree a few years back. I have since become addicted to catfishing! I have put the bass rods down and ripped all the custom flooring in my Lowe 1448 Big Jon and almost have the restoration "cat rig" finished. I do not have a ton of experience with wateree and boating as most of my fishing has been off docks. I have been out a handful of times with my uncle but we bass fished.

Can anyone experienced with this body of wateree give me some insight on how to fish this lake for cats? anything you can share will help me out as im a complete rookie wanting to learn.

What time of year is best in what area's? upper river/lower river?? I will be putting in at the Marina at Beaver Creek. I hope to have eth boat ready for July 3rd as a friend and I plan to make that a first trip for cats in my boat.

Thanks!

Also, is there anything I need to know for safety? things to avoid?

Also is a 14' Big jon a good enough boat to catfish from? has a 25HP Johnson and a Bimimi Top. very stable boat. I have a chance to buy a j16 Carolina skiff also, woud that make a better cat boat?

Thanks to all! OH Im also looking for a fishing partner! lol

2. honest doug

honest doug New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i live in chester . give me a holler ill go !

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    You ought to come check out the Catawba Catfish Club Tournament on Wateree this Saturday,alot of great catfisherman will be fishing this Tourney,it starts Saturday evening at 6pm at Wateree Creek Access,you can get more details in the Catfish Tournement Section under Catawba Catfish Club.

4. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Also is a 14' Big jon a good enough boat to catfish from? has a 25HP Johnson and a Bimimi Top. very stable boat. I have a chance to buy a j16 Carolina skiff also, woud that make a better cat boat?

I owned a J16 and the only complaint I had is that it was too narrow(but it was very stable).Mine had the small center console & still became cramped w/ 3 people.Other than that I loved it.

5. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Wateree is a very good lake for catfishing. It has some really big fish in it. This time of year most of the people fish up cedar creek from the big rock wall all the way to the dam. Look for the holes that are up through there and all the places that the current pushes up agianst the bank. Also it seems to me that when they have the water flowing good is when the bite is its best.

If you don't want to travel that far you can catch good fish out in the main channel fishing the holes and humps that are up and down the lake. Also try fishing the drop off's of the old river channel. If you are patient you can catch good fish all up and down the lake. My fishing partner and I have caught 20, 30 and 40 pounders from Colonel creek all the way to Cedar creek dam.

Well good luck and good fishing.