New to Lake of the Ozarks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Taliesin, May 23, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just started fishing LOZ just below Truman dam. My only real problem lately has been getting shad.

A bit of background first:
    I live in Sedalia, work at Whiteman AFB, and drive to the dam at least once a week (usually 3 or 4 times). I have no boat, so am limited to shore fishing. I just started getting into serious catfishing, so my tackle is barely up to the fishing there until 26 May when the new reel comes in for my new rod.
    From what I have heard from everyone down there, usually when the water is running there is never a problem getting shad with a throw net. I have been using these for several years to get bait, usually on smaller lakes getting bluegill or large minnows (up to 11"). This year has been very strange though, with very little in the way of shad near the bank, whether the water is running or not. Matter of fact, luck has usually been better with no water running.
    Where is a good place to get shad fairly quickly lately?

Thanks for any answers. Maybe I'll see some of you down by the fence on the Station side of the dam.

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Curtis.I live on LOZ but I haven't fished up around Warsaw for a couple years so I wouldn't be much help.There is several on here up that way though that will be glad to help you I'm sure.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're a bank fisherman, finding shad is a lot tougher than in a boat.

I see lots of folks throwing nets from the docks in Warsaw Harbor and I know there are shad in the harbor frequently but don't know how succesful the dock-bound are. You might also try the old river channel just below the dam - that's some slack water with a couple of public docks and might hold some shad, though again finding them from the shore is difficult.

If you have a boat, you've got a lot more options - just down from the harbor on the west side is what used to be an old channel that formed an island - it's cut off now about 1/2 mile back but that's a good place to find shad. Also try the entrance to White Branch (first cove inlet you come to on the south side of the channel downstream from the Hwy 65 bridge).

Finally, if you're driving down to the lake from Whiteman, you can cut through Windsor and stop by the city pond there (find County Line road on the east end of town and go south on it about 1/2 mile) - the pond is crawling with shad and they're usually easy to get from the shore.

Good luck!

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome Curtis.
    A good place to get shad is in drake harbor up town in Warsaw. Also I can usally get them in the evening on the west side of the dam just down from the fence where you fish about 20 yards. Both places seem to be better in the evenings just before dark. Hope to see you out there.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll have to keep Windsor in mind, but I usually head home to change, then head south on 65 to the dam. I just recently started heading down that way and don't know Warsaw very well to find these harbors.

I'll have to try the docks on the old river site.

I used to fish Hazel Hill (where I caught the 8# channel) and Maple Leaf lakes when I lived in Warrensburg, but moved to Sedalia and hated driving that far to find good fishing. I finally realised that Truman dam was closer, and was reminded of all the times I fished below the dam at Lake Hudson in Oklahoma.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Drake harbor is just down river from the Hwy. 7 bridge that crosses LOZ. You will see all the boat trailers in the parking lot from the bridge. Turn at Caseys and go up town to one block before you hit the square. Turn right toward the water and go a block and 1/2 and your in Drake Harbor.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mr. T and Spoonfish,

Now That was very useful. I can easily find that now. Would you believe that after more than 15 trips down there I still hadn't been on Highway 7 yet? Always took the exit from 65 and headed straight down the access road to the dam. I might have stopped at Wal Mart once or twice, but most of my tackle shopping was at Baker's Bait Shop in Lincoln.

I was out there last night and NO ONE was able to get shad, and I tried from the fence down to about 80 yards down (I left work a little early to get my workout time, maybe I cursed myself into throwing a net 100 times). I finally managed to get one large one, along with a couple of bluegill, dozens of crappie (one was 14") and a 2# Hybrid. In conditions like this I'll use those bluegill too. Heck, I would have cut up a carp for bait too (if you didn't notice, they removed to size restriction on carp used for bait this year).

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I couldn't find the Windsor Pond on Yahoo maps, but did manage to find quite a few there on Google. I am assuming the one you are referring to is in Farrington Park?
    After looking at these maps I can see that stopping there between work and fishing would be ideal. I'll probably do that Thursday after work (and bring my fishing clothes and truck to work). Since I have Friday through Monday off I will have to try Drake Harbor during that time.

If I stay out like I did last Friday (7 am to 2 am) I'm sure I will be able to get some at sunrise or sunup.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Yep, Farrington Park is the city lake in Windsor.

I've stopped at that bait shop in Lincoln a few times - nice folks and really pretty good prices on stuff. They make some *huge* custom surf rods there also - guy was working on a 14 footer last time I stopped in, about the size of a small oak tree at the base!:big_smile:

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My terminal tackle I get there at Baker's but for the rest of my tackle, Sedalia Outdoor is a great place (they are also an authorized Bass Pro outlet). I am finally moving up from my $40 Wallyworld catfish combo (9' Big Game rod with Alpha reel). It's not bad for the smaller lake fishing I had been doing, but down there below the dam it wasn't cutting it. Nothing custom made, but I figure a 15' Ugly Stick will last forever if I take care of it, and I can use it down home in OK too.
    Baker's almost always has any type of hook, weight, etc you need. Khale hooks, circle hooks, J hooks, standard weights up to 20 oz, no-drift sinkers up to 8 oz.

I also fish for anything else that's biting down there, so I usually have a variety of lures with me. Sedalia Outdoor has a nice selection of lures. They also have weight molds and other equipment for making your own, so I might start that before too long.