New to Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TCALL, Oct 17, 2006.

1. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hi All -

I'm a new member to this site...I usuallly striper fish on Lake Murray, but with that slowing down...I'm getting back into catfishing...

I'm planning my first trip to Lake Monticello this weekend and could use some advice on the lake...has anyone done any good lately???

I was raised catfishing the Santee Lakes and out of Low Falls...so catfishing isn't new to me...but this lake is...

Thanks for any help...

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the site.The fishing has slowed a little for the past few weeks at Monticello due to the fronts coming through.You can catch em using the same methods there as you do at santee whether it be anchored or driftin.I would suggest anchoring right now on sharp drops and ledges.Use whatever bait you can get, white perch,bream, crappie, herring, gizzard shad and threadfin shad and occasionaly baby catfish all work good at some point.If you want more info send me a pm.Or maybe we can trade a murray striper trip for a monticello catfish trip.

3. jcsappjr

jcsappjr Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Jerry
    Welcome to the BOC.

4. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how the trip goes...

That sounds good about the striper/catfish trade off...the stripers are really slow on Murray right now...but come late April and early May...things will start to pick up again.

I've heard the water level on Monticello fluctuates a good bit...is it anything to worry about...I don't want to get stuck out there...had enough of that on the Congaree at the end of Rosewood...I plan on putting in at the upper part of the lake...

Are bait fish pretty easy to catch???

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC. Always good to have another SC boy here.

6. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The bream and perch are easy to catch but u can't have a cast net on that lake so u have to bring shad with u.

7. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anyone ever run any trotlines???

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have been there several times and used miniature marshmellows dipped in a catfish dip bait. I caught many eating size cats. They make good eating due to the clean water. I have never fished for the big cats there.

9. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Marshmellows??? It seems like they would stay on the hooks pretty well...that's the first time I've heard of that...

I've used bream and cut bait on the Congaree before...but I don't go there anymore b/c of the water level...

10. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I dip marsh mellows in docs stink bait if i'm going for small cats on monty. If uwant to catch alot of eaters thats the way to do it ucan really get some good numbers that way. Use large cut or whole bait to catch the biguns. Also monty is a WMA lake so u can't use trotlines, but u may be able to at parr behind the dam of monty not sure about it though.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    There illegal on Monticello as are cast nets and jugs.

12. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i think i will definately try some marshmellows this Saturday...I need to get some fish in the freezer...

What are the depths like on Monticello??? Do you guys mainly drift or anchor???

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its has a some real deep places, actually the lake is deep for the most part but its has some spots that are real shallow. I drift sometimes and anchor others all depends on how they are biting for me really. Good luck.

14. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When drifting on Monticello...what depths are you drifting over...are you just off the bottom or fishing the depth your marking fish at???

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I usually start in 20' and drift out to 110' if possible. Its to say depth I keep the bait at but its never on the bottom.

16. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Riverrat...so your saying you typically fish your bait starting around 20' deep and up to 110' deep depending on water depth???

17. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A lot of people do drift dragging the bottom. And yes a lot of the lake is 100' deep. As far as the water level changing, you ussally don't have to worry about it to much. It looks to me like it changes around 10' over a 24hr period. Which is a lot, but the majority of the lake is so deep it doesn't matter much. I just wouldn't get close to any islands at a high speed or it will sneak up on you.

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If I start in 20 feet of water my bait will be around 15 feet down. I've fished 45 feet down in 70 feet or water because of standing timber.

19. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fished Monticello Saturday...it was windy as all get out...got back in a cove and anchored down and caught a couple...didn't do much...everyone on the lake seemed to be moving around a lot...for my first trip to the lake though I was really impressed..its beautiful...and really clean and i will definately be back...probably next weekend.

Left Monticello and went to Parr...probably caught about 30 or 35 small cats..nothing to write home about...but a ton of fun. Had a few rods down with big bait & big hooks...but didn't do anything...where are the big ones at???

20. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    It is a beautiful lake and clear.