New to Kentucky Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by abridge, Feb 20, 2006.

1. abridge

abridge New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi im for northern ill, but i will be fishing the ky lake for the frist time next month. can you guys tell what is the best part of the lake to catch cats. im going to start in the benton area and stop at paris.

thanks

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Abridge

Welcome to the BOC , I think if you hunt up ole Griz here on our board and send him a PM I think he might be able to give you some Idea's, I have not fished the lake yet but plan on it this spring. Good Luck

3. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    If you can make it up to the canal between Barkley and Kentucky Lake there is some great channel catfishing during May.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Both Kentucky and Barkley have big fish but it seems harder for me to find them on the lakes than in the rivers. To much more water to fish. A lot of guys say to fish shallow in the spring for yellowcats but heck there is A TON of shallow water.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Welcome to the BOC. During March I believe I'd fish the main lake channel, especialy the feeder creeks mouths like Jonathon Creek and Blood River. The water will probably still be pretty cool so the deeper water should produce. The two I mentioned are big bays with some deep channels in them so you may want to go in them and try there as well.

6. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    im gonna be comming down that way in march any info on where to stay , i want a place fairly clean cause i have the wife and kids with me, any help would be helpfull.... tim

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    You may want to check out the state parks, Kenlake, Ky. Dam Village, or Barkley state park, they have nice cabins from 1 to 3 bedrooms. There are also several motels in Aurora that are nice. There is a website, kylake.com, that has lots of information about motels and resorts in the area.

8. abridge

abridge New Member

State:
    illinois
    thank guys for the help, and when i get back i'll tell ya all about it.

thank, adam

9. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey guys my brother has a house in blues springs sub. near lake barkley is this near any good fishing?
    thanks

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There is good fishing all over on Barkley, I fish it more than I do Ky. lake.

11. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Griz, I'll be taking my son camping in LBL during the third week of march and was planning on bringing the boat. We wanted to do a little jugging and trotlining, maybe in Crockett bay. Would this be a good area? I liked it because the channel is closer to that side and thought the cats may move up from the channel into the bay if there is a fair amount of sunshine and the temperatures come up some. What do you think? J

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  13. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Griz, your right! I just checked and found I had misread the map. HUH! Do you think the jugs would still be a good idea that early in mid-march or would trotlines be better? J

14. shadow

shadow New Member

Drop an anchor where Little River empties into Lake barkley and put out your baits on the ledges. A little patience will soon be rewarded.

15. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Shadow ,have you been doing OK? Have you jug fish Little River ?

BIGCAT GarryEads:)

16. shadow

shadow New Member

Some of the BEST fishing is near Barkley Lodge. Try along the old channel where Little River dumps into Lake Barkley if you want to get your "string stretched" really tight.

17. shadow

shadow New Member

Garry, I havent been catfishing in a while. Caught a bunch of crappie so far this winter/spring for the freezer. Kinda waiting for the water to warm a little before I go hunting for cats.