New to Kayak Fishing.

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by goshawk, Apr 27, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hi I am new to Kayak fishing and have only been out one time.

First thing I realized it that it sure helps to be organized.

Another thing I noticed is that I caught a couple of catfish but as I was paddling around I would put them on a stringer and just drag them around.

But then I started thinking what if I was doing a two or three day trip down the river. Where do you folks store your catch?

Also I made a nice homemade Rod holder with a piece of PVC pipe and a U-Clamp.

Pat

Attached Files:

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC kayak/canoe forum, Pat! :0a25:

Floating a SOT, I have a few more options, I guess. For the most part I throw them in a bucket of water, or whack them and put 'em on ice in the cooler.

Others use fish bags. In fact, KFS sells a great fish bag for a SIK that mounts on the front (if you're willing to shell out the dough for it :wink:).

3. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just use a stringer. Filet 'em at the end of the day and put on ice.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I almost never keep fish and my kayak is a 14.5' so I could bring a shark back with me so I am of no help.

Good luck kayak fishing!

5. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    With a kayak/canoe? I would find a stringer a real problem. I already fight wind, current, and fish on the line...I wouldn't want to add one more line full of unhappy critters out there to pull my yak around. :tounge_out:

I would definitely vote for getting your keepers out of the water and out of your way!

6. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just pull them in when it's time to move. Never had any big enough to pull me around...yet. I'll just filet 'em on the spot if I do and ice 'em down, or ice 'em down and filet 'em later. But that sure makes my drinking water taste suspiciously like fish when it's in the same ice chest! A fish bag is not an option for me now, 'cause I bring my 7 year old son and I have an Malibu XFactor with a gator hatch on front so he can have a seat. I will probably use a fish bag when he gets old enough for his own yak.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    make y a little harness for the cats an let them tow u around :smile2: at a earlier time i would have liked to try kiaking but no way now i have problems mantaining balance at time just standing still

8. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Dickie,

I encourage you to watch for a kayak show at a local sports distributor. It's what I did. Go try some of the new Sit-On Top kayaks out for yourself. You will be pleasantly surprised how stable they truly are!

I remember asking for ideas on how to get out on the water cheaply, but NO kayak. Some kind brother responded, "Why not a kayak?" So I asked myself, "Why not a kayak?" I went to a kayak/bike demo day and floated a couple of kayaks and was instantly hooked.

Now, I wouldn't want to fish any other way!

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would agree, it is really surprising how comfortable and stable some of these are. I would have an easier time falling out of my 16' Deep V than out of my Native Ultimate.

10. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Make sure GA allows you to filet your fish on the spot before doing it. In KS they have to remain "intact" until you get off the water. And if your carrying filets around in a cooler with you its hard to say if you caught them 3 minutes ago or yesterday.

11. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    This is definitely not permitted in Virginia. The first time I went kayak fishing I caught a nice channel cat. The fish died quickly though and, not thinking, I found a good spot on the bank, cleaned the fish, removed his head, and put him on ice.

An officer was waiting dockside when I arrived, and he looked everything over. I showed him the catfish (what was left of him), but he was more interested in the bluegill I had flopping in the bucket. Anyway, he let me "off the hook" so to speak, and I think it was because the catfish is not considered a game fish with size limits in Virginia impoundments.

If I had done this to a bass, I would have paid a hefty fine.