New to kaw

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by beakus, Oct 19, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i'm to this form can anybody give me some areas on kaw?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    John,

WELCOME to the BOC. The Brotherhood Of Catfishermen is just that, a brotherhood. I'm sure one of your new brothers who knows Kaw will be along shortly. I myself have never fished it, but I have heard some good things about Kaw.

3. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Beakus!!!

4. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC John.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    John, don't give up. Keep checking this thread as there are several of the brothern I know who live in Ponca City/Newkirk/Bartlesville and the surrounding area. They are on here giving reports about Kaw quite often. I have fished the tailwaters and like them quite a lot. If the cats are not biting, there is plenty of action from the gar. The tailwater fishing is pretty much over for the year as the Corps stops letting water out so the ducks feed will be underwater and attract the ducks for the hunters. Probably won't be a large release until after duck season (March) and this drought ends. But, Kaw is supposed to be good for blues, flatheads, crappie, stripers, andbass. Just keep checking the thread. And Welcome to the BOC.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    welcome to the BOC believe it or not I watched a program on THE MENS CHANNEL last night THE AMERICAN SPORTSMAN they were fishing for winter crappies at kaw ive been there looked like they were right near where the bridge crosess that runs to shidler but go to AL & VALS pizza and talk to AL he can help you out

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hi John, welcome to the Brotherhood. Kaw is my favorite lake in Okla.
    I worked for Nothern Okla. College, one summer, and took care of their property all summer long. There are several deep coves there, just west of
    Kaw City. Caught some good flats there, any where along that bank from the Kaw City bridge to the west.
    My favorite place to fish is below the dam, late at night and early in the morning when no one else is around. I've seen 30/40 lbs. come out of there
    (i'm still waitin on mine) and some good blues. Ive snagged a bunch of spoons there, and my friend snagged a 96 pounder there, and the state record I think, is from there. A lot of crappie and striper also below the dam.
    Good Fishin' , Flint.

8. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    thanks flint,i've been below the dam a couple of times but not much luck,seems like i get the urge the same time as everbody else.2 questions,witch side do you like best east or west andhow do you fish it with out loosing your rig eveytime,i think thats why i tend to shy away but i always here guys raving about it.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No doubt about it... your gonna loose a lot of rigs below the dam. I have gone to "claw sinkers" in the 5 1/2 and 8 ounce sizes. Still loose rigs, but they have been reduced considerably. When I start in, I raise tip of my rod as high as I can get it hoping to clear some of the rocks and underwater obstruction. There are some good ones in there but they have to be releasing water before the bite starts. Thas pretty much over for the year as they try to keep the lake level steady for the duck hunters. May start running the turbines again in May.

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    welcome to the BOC hope you enjoy it as much as we do

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    John, Lawrence is right, you gotta catch it when the watter is running.
    I fish the west side from the 1000 ft. pole to about 1/2 mile down river to snag spoonbill. I fish both sides for white bass. east side in the rocks for crappie. For catfish, from the bank climb out on the west side rock levie
    and cast out in the curent with shad live or dead. A boat is the best you can catch cats and stripers both. Man i'm ready lets go.....

Loop could probably give you more info than me. He lives close to Kaw.

Flint

12. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome too the BOC good to have another okie

13. rbaggerly

rbaggerly New Member

State:
    OKC Area, Oklahoma
    Welcome and good fishing.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Welcome Randy. Set back, prop up your feet and get aquainted. This is just about the best place on the web.

15. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC-this is a great place with lots of wonderful fishing tips and ideas.
    Kaw fishing- I will share some of my favorite spots:
    Kansas/Oklahoma state line road dead ends at the river. You used to could drive right to the river but they have put up a gate so now it is about a mile hike to get to the river but good fishing once you get there!
    South from there is Trader's Bend-excellent fishing spot but be careful the bank is steep and you will wind up in the water-I am speaking from personal experience.
    Coon creek is the next best fishing spot going south-I have seen alot of blues caught around coon creek.
    South of there is the dam and good fishing.
    Hope that helps and good luck. Be careful of the hunters-it is deer season here and there are always a bunch of hunters up at Kaw.