New to Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by dcoynut, Nov 21, 2007.

1. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just thought I would stop by and say hi....I am new to Kansas, I have only been here a year.....I moved from Idaho because of my job.....I started catfishing this last summer and I really enjoyed it I can't wait to hook a monster flathead......I might be stopping by for some advice when it gets warmer......Everyone have a great Thanksgiving and I'll be talking to you later.....

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    welcome. where abouts in kansas are you at?

i fish the Kaw, Missouri and Hillsdale most, but i will fish anywhere:wink:

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Todd:cool2:. Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info there.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC. Plan on spending a lot of time on here, the knowledge on here is the best that you will find. What part of Kansas are you in?

5. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I live in a little town called Eureka in Greenwood County it's about 30 miles east of Eldorado and 50 miles south of Emporia........Some of the Rivers near me include Fall River, The Verdigras River, and for lakes I have Toronto and Fall River Lake and Eldorado Lake......Thanks for the Welcome I'm excited to get to know all of you.....

6. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Welcome brotha, You will love the fishing in this State...

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Welcome, indeed. Your right up there where Dorothy and Toto visited Kansas. LOL. That is probably two of their most famous residents.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri. If you dont know much about Missouri now you will after Saturday.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Yep the whole nation will know they are losers! LOL

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i got a cousin that lives in eureka, but he dont do any fishing. anyway im from ellinwood...dont know how far away ya are excatly but if your ever gonna be in the area let me know and we will go do some fishing.

11. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Welcome to the BOC Todd. You'll find this site very addictive... :big_smile:

12. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Todd, welome to the BOC. I came to Kansas from Montana chasing my job too. It took awhile to get used to the summers, but the fishing made up for it. I've found that most people are willing to give advice and are very friendy. Good luck!

13. ret.1stsgt

ret.1stsgt New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Welcome to the land of OZ Dcoynut & the B O C & some of the best catfishing in the U.S.A. I have lived here most of my 80 yrs. of living except for a 31 yr. hitch with my uncle Sam.

Just an ole retired 1st sgt & an ole stumpjumper

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Todd and Earl,and welcome to Kansas Todd.Don't pay no nevermind to those foriegners from Missouri and Oklahoma--They are just jealous and it makes 'em cranky sometimes!

15. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    welcome aboard todd, great site glad to have ya!!!!!

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I fish the Neosho and Spring rivers here in southeast Kansas. If I'm not mistaken...you're not too far from John Redmond reservoir...which is where the Neosho river flows out of at the dam there at Burlington, Ks.

If its big flathead you seek in your area...try the massive and somewhat famous log jam there on John Redmond....there's some big boys in there...as well as in the Neosho river itself.

Our fish here in the Sek section of the Neosho come from further south out of Grand Lake, Oklahoma...which the Neosho pours into about 40-50 miles downstream.

As you may have gathered by now...at both ends of the Neosho are world class flathead fisheries....so the river connecting the two can't be too far behind them. :wink:

Good luck...and wet lines. Welcome to the BOC!

18. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    welcome to kansas, your city lake has some very good channel fishing, i am up there on the lake all summer long, look for a lund pro vee with a couple of
    old farts fishing, and say hello rwg:roll_eyes:

19. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    The dept. of wildlife and parks has catfish feeders set out in hundreds of community lakes across the state. They also spend lots of time and money doing creel surveys and netting and shocking. google kdwp fishing and you can pull up their website. Go to fishing forcast and you can see ratings for each species on each body of water. Using this system about 5 years ago I found the 2 city lakes at Pleasonton. The East lake is 128 acres and has 5 feeders. When one of the feeders goes off it looks like a trout hatchery with hundreds of our bewhiskered buddies sucking the pellets off the top like pac-man.Sometimes we get into wipers there as well. One day last year I caught 65 wipers in 3 hours on liver on a bobber. I was in my bass boat and had 14 rods prerigged in the lockers under the floor. Tried every type of lure imaginable but they would only hit liver.We bring our own catfish chow so we don't have to wait for the feeders to go off. We also throw fermented soybeans for chum. They are all channel cats my biggest this summer was 24lbs but most average 2-5 lbs .We release almost all of them there is a 15" length limit and a limit of 2 so that keeps the meat fishermen out.There are no special permits required. The west lake is only 20 acres but it has a boat ramp shore access if you don't have a boat. We average about 50 to 75 channel cats on a half day trip.I have tried lots of different baits commercial and natural and it seems like turkey liver kept on ice works the best for channels where we fish. Chicken liver doesn't stay on the hook very well and Ive tried lots of different dip baits and punch baits and all I catch is little bitty ones on em. Treble hooks suck for catch and release so we use a 3/0 mustad j hook. Turkey liver is much harder to get but the peices are bigger so it discourages the weenie fish.Some times we have to move away from a topwater feeding school if all you're getting is dinks.I use a 81/2 -9 foot mh salmon rod with a big spinning reel with 20lb test cajun red or big game line.Our rig is a weighted balsa wood cork sliding free with a barrel swivel.We have prerigged droplines with a 1/0 interlock snap swivel 12-18'' of mono and a 1/0-3/0 j hook I found that when I'm excited I tie lousy knots and I waste valuable fishing time so I have a couple of boards with nails sticking out on one end and staples on the other. If one swallows the hook you just cut the line as far back as you can and unsnap the dropper and drop it in the bottom of the boat.snap a new one on rebait it and you're back fishing in a few seconds. Sometimes we use a rubberband to set the depth. Peak time is May through october and you can catch them any time day or night no matter how hot of a day it is. Sometimes they will follow the pellets into extremely shallow water even in the middle of a 100 degree day. Good luck

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Eric, that was one heck of a good first post. Lots of good information that can be applied to other bodies of water. Welcome.