New to Kansas, thank god for the BOC.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by ArmyGrunt, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys, new to the site, and words can't describe how happy I am to find a site like this one. Just got stationed in the area and trying to hunt down the big cats that I always heard about. Been on the KAW the last few nights down off of 435 and Woodend, and can't seem to hook into anything but Gar. Been throwing Shad sides, and caught a few live Shad on the throw net, but no luck. Anyone have any pointers for a rookie monster cat fisherman trying to land a big one. Also, on leave all this week, and looking to fish the whole vacation, anyone wanting to do some fishing day or night, let me know.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope to meet you guys sometime out on the water.

Kenny

2. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    Kenny welcome to the BOC you have arrived to the greatest site on the net and the best bunch of guys and gals that can give you hints about catfishing. I livein Alabama so i cant tell you much about where you live but i am sure there are members in your area that can give you all the advise you can handle.

3. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the boc, kenny. great site and people, enjoy.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

welcome to the BOC this is a great site and brother the guys here are fanatics about fishing. there are a few guys in your area and I am sure they will get in touch with you shoutly just be patient and the will find you. good luck and welcome aboard.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome aboard Kenny, If I was fishing 435 I would walk all the way South across the dam and try the faster water.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net!

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    WELCOME ABOARD SOLDIER!i dont fish the kaw too much but you should have no problem finding out where to fish now that you are a part of the best site on the net.good luck on the water:big_smile:

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Kenny... and we're just as proud to have you...

9. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome!! There is good fishing to be had here in KS.
    Where are you stationed? My kid brother is at Ft. Riley, been waiting for deployment to Iraq for almost a year now.

10. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the warm welcome fellow fishermen, Brad K, I went halfway across the damn and tried the flow there. Didn't see a way to make it all the way across. May try the KAW down off of Leavenworth 1 tomorrow. Does anyone ever have any luck on the upper side of the Dam down by the overpass?

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Kenny,

Welcome to the BOC.

The river has to be really low to get out where Brad is talking about, but it's good advice when you can get out there. The river has dropped some in the last day or two, so you might give it another look. If that doesn't work out, try going down the north bank as far as you can, getting away from the rock dam. The main problem with that area is that, despite how deep it looks below the dam, most of it is only a foot or two deep unless the river is up.

I've never heard of much success on the upstream side.

12. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Welcime to the best site on the web. Let me know if your ever down around Wichita...

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member. Make yourself at home.

14. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I saw a sandbar a good ways down from the dam last night on the north side, looks like I could get into the current from there. 10 ft rod with a 5 oz sinker, so I may give that a try. There calling for T-storms tomorrow and Thursday, so not sure how that is going to affect things. Still can't find the Shad schools, just netting them 1 at a time over in the cove area. Thanks for the input GaryF, nice cat in the picture. Maybe I'll see you out on the water sometime.

15. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Stationed at Ft. Leavenworth, tell your kid brother to stay focused and get back safe.

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Kenny,
    you can make it all the way over there although it gets pretty treacherous. I have A friend who caught a 45lb flathead from that spot last week

17. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Welcome to the BOC this is a great site.

18. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to BOC Kenny! You have found a good one here. I'm sure some of the KS brothers will give you some ideas for fishing spots there. Enjoy that "DA Form 31" time...

19. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    For gathering shad, I found it is best to get them from local lakes.
    I get mine from 3 differant lakes here in Olathe. Olathe Lake (by the dennis street bridge), from Cedar Lake (under the bridge or off the dock) or Water works (Small lake, look for them on surface)
    There are many local lakes in the KC area to get them from but I only know where to get them in Olathe.
    All these places are also good to get bluegills.
    Many of the guys that fish the rivers also use goldeye they catch on the river usings small hook, bobber and worm.
    Some of the guys use bullheads they catch from farm ponds.
    I can't help you very much with bank places to fish the Kaw, but there are quite a few folks on the BOC that know a lot of bank fishing spots.

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a25: Welcome to the BOC. You won't find a better place or better people. thier all out to try and help the best they can. Can't help you with your area except to tell you to check out the Kansas forum on the BOC. You might find some info on the there about your area. Again welcome and thank you for serving our GREAT COUNTRY