New to Jeff Ciity. Where to go?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by kingneck76, Jan 22, 2009.

1. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I moved to the Jefferson City area from Nebraska back in early winter. Well it's getting close to that time of year again, and I am itching. Problem is I dont have the foggiest notion on where to go. I live just a few miles from an access to the mo river. I have fished it a bit when I was up in Omaha. I am stuck to bank fishing, and could use a hand. I mainly go out for flats, but I really just need to catch some cats. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    The river down there is great for bigguns I fish a few tournements down there, and there is a great sand bar up stream that i caught a 38 ,and 40 lbs ,thats been 6 years ago and the bar might not be there now:wink:

3. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    Thank you much. I was wondering if someone has some other places that I can access the water from bank. I know around Omaha most everything is privately owned, or its a park that you get thrown out of after dark by the police (been there.) I just dont know where around here I can hit the water without having to worry about the police, or worse upset landowners with shotguns. Again any help is most appreciated.

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I understand if you prefer fishing a river but we have caught some nice fish at Binder lake in early spring. Don't remember the road but I believe there is only one that crosses the lake, right there at the spill way is where we fished. The other place you might like is south of Columbia is Perche Creek. I put in there and always see people catching fish from the bank by the boat ramp. Perche Creek is a tributary to the Missouri so throughout the summer you will always find fish there. Also there is a sand bar down river from Copper's Landing that we used to camp and fish at. The only problem is sometimes it's a party crowd hang out.

5. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well for the Missouri river, you have the public access at the boat ramp right after the bridge out of JC on 54/63 hwy.

Binder lake is west of JC of hwy 50 west, take the Apache Flacts exit and turn right just past the ball fields; can't miss it.

Just east of JC on hwy 50 there is the the Moreau river access; it is a small river but feeds into the MO just down stream, lots of nice cat taken from the moreau; you will cross it just below the site where they are building the new Wal-mart, then turn left at the top of the hill, again easy to find.

If you keep going east on hwy 50 just past the Taos exit you will come the Osage river. Lokk for signs to the Mari-Osa access. This is where I live, a lot of people fish from the bank at the boat ramp all night long.

Lots of small rivers and many lakes around JC.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    This might help you find some places to try, too. It's mostly a list of boat ramps, but some of the other river access points are listed. I'm not familiar enough with that section of the river to offer much first hand advice, but I have stayed at Coopers Landing and it would make a pretty good base camp for boat fishing, with some limited bank fishing also right there in the immediate area.

http://missouririvertrips.com/StLouis/StLouis.htm

7. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in Columbia now! I went out to that area recently to check out Perche and the Conservation area. Where os the boat ramp to Perche that I might be able to fish off of? Just looking for some catfishing spots as I am a bank fisherman also. Do you know of any other places to go around Columbia? Thanks in advance!

8. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go south on Providence Road out of Columbia. It turns to K blacktop. Turn left on Old Plank Road, there is a conservation sign there. Follow the signs for River Acess. I think the actual name is Providence Acess Area. It is actually on the Katy Trail. Be careful, the road gets narrow and crooked and one lane.

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    mert there is also Katfish katy's. its a campground and boatramp in huntsdale. its about a 15 drive from here. drive west on i70, its the first exit after midway...i think its rt.uu exit. drive south until you reach huntdale and drive directly over the katy trail. cant miss it!

10. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would have to say Apache Flats, but the river on the way to Linn I use to bank fish there quite a bit.

11. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I just wanted to thanks to all of ya. Yall have given me a few places to check out. Thanks again, and bent poles to all.

12. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the help guys, I will be checking both of those spots out this year!

13. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    I have lived weat of Jefferson City all my life and one catfishing stream that is easily forgotton in the Moreau River. Its wrapped all the way around town except on the north side and there is low water crossings everywhere on county roads. A county map would be handy

14. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    Mert and Mike i have a boat and am always lookin for friends to fish with. I got early retirement due to MS and have plenty of time

15. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mule congrats on the early retirement, sorry about MS. Sounds like you are looking on the bright side, that's most important in dealing with any of lifes challenges. Catch a big one.

16. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i live between j.c. and columbia by ashland. im in hartsburg. you can go through hartsburg and follow river rd. it follows the river all the way to wilton and up to coopers landing. there are several good spots through there look for beatn down paths espically closer to wilton this is where i fish alot. theirs a channel marker there also. theres also the hartsburg boat ramp u could fish by its on river rd. also. dirictly across from hartsburg on the river is marion access its a good spot also. go down 50 towards california and you will see the signs that go to marion. send me a mes. sometime if u cant find the ones by hartsburg maybe i can meet up wit ya somewere and show ya.