New to Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by jross1901, May 13, 2007.

1. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    greetings everyone,

i just moved to champaign.
    I've been a member and post on the MI board, just looking for any spots around the CHampaign area for flatheads or just catfish in general. any info helps at this time.

thank in advance
    -jim

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    James welcome to Illinois . Good to see you here. I can't help you on bodies of water in your area. I'm 4 hrs south of you.:lol: :smile2:

3. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Your most likely near Sangcris Lake, which I've heard is a hot spot for flatties and I'd also check out Lake Carlyle and Rend Lake. As far as rivers go i'm not to sure whats down south. I live about 10 minutes from the Wisconsin Border so I wish I could help you more! Welcome to the flat lands

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Welcome to Illinois. If you are looking for flaties close to you. There are a couple of spots. One It isnt real close but not to far, is Clinton lake near clinton. It is a power cooling lake and the flaties are huge. Also the wabash river is pretty good and there are blues there also. Lake Decatur has flaties along with the sangoman river. Also check out the north end of lake shellbyville. There are some bigguns there also. Hope this helps

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sangchris may be a little far ya, though +50lb Flatty was just caught there Fri nite :wink::big_smile:

6. travisp

travisp New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lots of catfish on Clinton Lake. Come join us as we are just beginning to explore boat fishing on Clinton Lake. We've been bank fishing for years.

7. ILChannelMan

ILChannelMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Clinton is probably the closest good spot, that, or Lake Shelbyville. Rend Lake is good from what i hear too.

8. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey, welcome to IL. I am actually just 5-10 minutes south of champaign in Tolono. We've lived up here for close to 2 yrs now. I have nevered fished clinton before as I do most of my cat fishing south of here (shelbyville, mattoon, charleston(where i am from)). From what I understand you are surrounded by good fisheries. I've heard good things about clinton, kickapoo state park in vermillion county (25 minutes east), lake vermillion, homer lake and Walnut point state park (25 mins S.E.) to name a few. I dont ever fish up here because I dont really have anyone to fish with. Shoot me a PM sometime if you want to get together and talk it over a few beers.

Ryan

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim, welcome to the BOC. I live just 8 miles to your west. I normally go to Clinton lake. Several small lakes around that have cats in them. Closest would be the parks in Champaign. Then out to Lake of the Woods. The lake at Leroy. ect. Good luck where ever you go. Maybe we'll meet up. :smile2:

10. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    hey welcome to the boc. i am bout 40 min from u over in indiana. i know of lake vermillion in danville, and lake mingo as well as the others at kickapoo and kennekuk parks. champaign has a lake in the parks to i think.

11. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    thanks for all the replies.
    made a fella fill welcome.maybe even get to meet a fella or two.
    good fishing

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC James, glad to have you!

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC James.