New to Hunting!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rednecksportsman511, Oct 13, 2005.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Hey y'all! I finally might get the chance to go huntin this season with my uncle. My dad's never been a hunting fan, so naturally ive never been.

I was at my uncles house tho, and he was tlkn bout his place he hunts at, which is packed with deer and the lake is crammed with bass. He said hed be glad to take me out this season, so im just waitin to be invited. :D All my buds at school are big hunters and theyve been out bowhuntin the past two weekends. I assume ill be shootin the .243 my uncle got fer his daughter Caroline. he shoots a 7mm. i think id be better off w. the youth model .243, even though at 15 y/o and 165 lbs. im a bit bigger than youth. heck, id shoot any rifle so long as it'd take the deer down w/o causin it too much pain.

do yall have any tips fer a first-timer like me?

ill let ya know if i get to go huntin.

thanks!

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Brother the best piece of advice I can give you is Hunt stay on that uncle of yours and have him show you what he knows then keep hunting and you will learn. Its also best to read everything you can get your hands on about deer. Oh by the way when that big old buck steps out there remember your not shooting a deer your shooting a walking sandwich it will help calm your nerves. Thats what I do I say sandwich to myself three times and it calms me down.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    My advice-run a few boxes of ammo thru whatever gun your using.Don't do it all at once.Learn every detail of that gun by touch.Once that deer gets in your sights,your heart will be racing and whole body will start shaking.Now is not the time to look if the safety is off,a round chambered,etc...

If your lucky,you will get that same feeling every time your out for the next 50 years.

4. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Also, don't worry about that gun kicking the crap out of you. The only time you'll ever feel it kick is when your practice shooting. Once you draw down on a deer and pull the trigger, you wont remember it kicking or even being loud.

5. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks guys, ill be sure to keep all of that in mind

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like he already invited you. Id say you have to work on your dad and get the ok from him. Id definetely start shooting asap, maybe get dad to go shooting with you and show him you can handle the gun safely and responsibly.

7. tokie

tokie New Member

State:
    Hemlock, Ohio
    One more thing. Don't fin miss Lmao

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    If you have not done so , sign up for a hunters safety class.You have to have it in most states to get a license

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    sounds like everyone all ready gave you some good advice,but when that times comes and you got a legal buck in front of you take a look at his rack just to make sure he is legal then concentrate on his vitals for a clean kill shot don't look at the rack any more until he's on the ground and then you got the rest of your life to admire his beauty...

10. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks guys,
    in response to derbycitycatman, ive already got my dads ok on it, so no worries there.

right now in alabama, its legal for me to hunt w/o a liscense until im 16 (next spring) then im required by law to have a huntin liscense after that. and i am required to take a safety course in order to obtain a liscense. itll all come in time.

11. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

It is a good idea to go throught hunter safety, especially if you are new to hunting. It will make you aware of things you might otherwise overlook that could bring harm to you or your hunting partners.

-brian

12. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    Besides the hunter saftey course the only things i would recommend to add would be :

1) identify your target ... know what your shooting at and where you place the crosshair ...

2) once you hit your target ... and if it dont go down right away ... watch it ... mark the last place you have seen it before it disappears ... this will help you track you game ...

3) wear proper safety material ... some states require full blaze orange while some allow it to be worn while moving find out what your regualtions are

4) if you state has antler regulations learn them inside out ... some states a point dosent count for a point unless its over a inch in height ...

5) know where your hunting party is ... carry a radio walkie talkie and have it set for a certain channel ... work out a call sign so if your in trouble you can get help ...

6) carry a backpack of the following gear : a thermos of drink (coffee or hot coco) , a sandwich , a couple of candy bars or fruit bars ...., extra shells , a knife , paper towels , a deer drag rope , a pencil , a twist tie for the deer tag , extra gloves , a dry hat (in case the one your wearing gets wet) , a ziploc bag for the heart or liver if you plan on saving them , your walkie talkie , a signal wisthle , a handcherchief , a small roll of toliet paper (just in case) ...... some saftey matches if you have to start a fire , and a flashlight

7) if you change your deer stand from where you had told everyone where you will be .... make sure that someone in your party knows where you relocate too

and last but not least happy hunting

13. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    The only thing I would add to that list is a small first aid kit, bandages, gause tape, etc....

I have gutted out many deer and have accidently cut my self many times.

-brian

14. lakerat

lakerat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Always assume there is a buck watching you. The moment you don't do that one will be.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Id have to second or third the notion of the hunter education classes. I had my card years before I ever thought of hunting. Got mine at conservation camp. Youd be surprised what youll learn and what others wont know.

When on stand I think the biggest thing is stay quiet, as quiet as possible. If your taking food, unwrap it before you go. Also I like to take an extra coat to keep warm. You can wrap it around anything cold, like say your feet.

I think the 243 would be a great gun for you and will take a deer no problem.
    Have you started shooting yet? If not start soon.

One thing I do that some people will laugh at or tell you not to do is to take something to read. Nothing to good though cause you dont want to get too interested. Take some homework or study for a test. Read a line or a half a line then scan the woods and keep your ears open. No big magazines but small paperbacks are ok. This helps me stay on stand alot longer than I normally would.

16. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    the most usfull thing to me is to scan the woods with your eyes not your head. i had that problem when i first started, i would try to move my body and head to see when all you need to do is move your eyes. good luck this season.